Critique Florida environment

Floating along in the boat again this morning. Broken clouds that gave some intermittent wonderful directional but spotty lighting. I realized I have lots of close up shots of nests, but thought this would be a good day to try to capture a better feel of their environment. One of the anhinga nests, presently being cared for by the male.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Stay safe and well.
Gary

lake eloise 8553_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

lake eloise 8541_DxO.jpg

Thanks again.
It was actually while I was shooting the second shot, that I realized how glorious the surrounding light was and I needed to shoot wider. This light changes pretty quickly throughout the morning, so it only lasted for a few minutes. I was there, and I almost missed it. I was too focused on the nest at 600mm to even notice what was going on around me. I need to stay more open.
I tried this in monochrome, I am deep down a black/white guy. It didn't work for me, I think it needs the colors. Feel free to play away, but this is what my black/white conversion using my usual settings looked like. It is a nice image, but I personally like the color better.
Cloudy and overcast today, so off for a bike ride instead of the boat.
Gary
lake eloise 8553_DxObw.jpg

Real Name
Dan
Love that first one, Gary. Looks like there's a spotlight on the nest. Nicely seen and captured.

The lighting, the composition, as Dossy said, gives the 1st picture a feeling of fantasy. Exceptional! I agree it needs to be in color.

Thanks everyone! It was a magical moment.
As I mentioned, I am trying to include more environment with my present images, getting a close up image of a bird has lost its original challenge. I have thousands of them, I do not need any more (although I still shoot them, I can not help myself). I also found my images too often looked pretty much the same as everyone else's. What fun is that?
I am now finding including more is actually much harder, probably why I did not do it in the past. Getting a composition that works, getting a background that is not distracting, getting light that adds to the work, is difficult, at least for me. Then the birds do not listen, and almost never do what I want them to do. I am lucky that the nests do not move. I have found when there will be light on the nests I am following, so now I just have to wait and hope something happens. Sometimes it does, often it doesn't.
Raining for the next couple of days, so I am printing. Likely be 2-3 days before I can take the boat out again. I can't wait. This new challenge has brought the joy back into my shooting. Wow, what a wonderful thing.
By the way, I like surprises in my pictures, most have them. Something you do not notice until you look at the picture for a while, a reward. Dad is in the first image, always close by protecting the nest. Difficult to see in a small web sized image, but in a 20x30" print he is clearly there, but hidden. It is the dessert.
Gary

I am now finding including more is actually much harder, probably why I did not do it in the past. Getting a composition that works, getting a background that is not distracting, getting light that adds to the work, is difficult, at least for me.

One of the reasons people do close-ups is that it's a lot easier to get everything just right over a small scene than a large one.

I was pleasantly surprised that the first image here was accepted for the lenswork book "Our Magnificent Planet"
I submitted 3 images. I knew one was accepted- but just received the book today to see which one. This is one of my favorite from the spring.
The book consists of 300 single images, and there are some TERRIFIC images here.
At least my Christmas shopping is done now, all my family gets a copy!
Gary

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Congrats Gary.
These pictures are looking dreamy - like an other world...

Kind regards
Klaus

Last edited:
Floating along in the boat again this morning. Broken clouds that gave some intermittent wonderful directional but spotty lighting. I realized I have lots of close up shots of nests, but thought this would be a good day to try to capture a better feel of their environment. One of the anhinga nests, presently being cared for by the male.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Stay safe and well.
Gary

View attachment 1659675

View attachment 1659676
Really nice!!!!!!!!!
Is this the Mt Dora canal?

Latest threads

Top Bottom