Florida has way too many birds

You Florida residents should be ashamed :wink:. Up north, we have to go out and look really hard to find large birds to photography :tongue:. The birds in Florida might as well be tame. I spent the Easter weekend visiting family and spent about 2 hours at a park looking for birds. Also, there is a drainage pond near where I was staying and those Egrets really were tame. My brother-in-law said that many people feed them and they come right up to the door looking for handouts. While we we in the McDonald's drive through, an Osprey flew about 20 feet above the car. There were literally interesting birds everywhere.

I need to look at the Sibley guide a little harder to see if I got the
Snowy, Great and Little Egret's ID correctly. It is tough to get them exposed well without blowing the whites in that bright Florida sun. It was a fun weekend :biggrin:.

These were shot handheld or braced against a railing and were all wild birds, if that is what you call them down there :rolleyes:.

White Ibis
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 89574

Great Egret
View attachment 89575

Snowy Egret (I think)
View attachment 89576

Snowy (complete with handout hot dog)
View attachment 89577

Great Blue Heron
View attachment 89578

Little Blue Heron
View attachment 89579

Really nice series, Chris. I always thought those folks from Florida staked birds to the ground and then edited out the chains.:biggrin:

Nice shots.
Yep we got lots of birdies.

Ya know, I am getting tired of white birds. eeeeekkk I have shot thousands of them. But I go out and do it again.

Thanks Gale. The white guys are tough to keep white. If you get to bored of them, send a few up to us. I am sure that Connie would give them a nice home in the pond behind her place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice series, Chris. I have often said, and I think that either Al Gore or maybe Al Franken or maybe Michael Moore, heck, maybe Mickey Mouse made a documentary about it, that all the birds and stuff in Florida, even the Alligators, are trained by the folks at Disney and Universal, and when required they are even placed on tracks. The next thing they are working on is a Weather Dome, to stop the 1 week of bad weather they get per year, can't have it raining on the Tourist Photogs you know :wink: :wink: :biggrin:

Not, of course, that I am jealous or envious or anything, oh no, not me ....... :Guns:

Chris, I thought I was in the wrong thread, what happened to the ducks? Oh, I see, you took a trip to Disneyland. :biggrin:

Looks like you had a great adventure, very nice series!

There were ducks too but they were, as usual, hard to photograph. The egrets and heron must have been the ones on the clock when I was out :tongue:.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom