1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Florida has way too many birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chris_B, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    You Florida residents should be ashamed :wink:. Up north, we have to go out and look really hard to find large birds to photography :tongue:. The birds in Florida might as well be tame. I spent the Easter weekend visiting family and spent about 2 hours at a park looking for birds. Also, there is a drainage pond near where I was staying and those Egrets really were tame. My brother-in-law said that many people feed them and they come right up to the door looking for handouts. While we we in the McDonald's drive through, an Osprey flew about 20 feet above the car. There were literally interesting birds everywhere.

I need to look at the Sibley guide a little harder to see if I got the
    Snowy, Great and Little Egret's ID correctly. It is tough to get them exposed well without blowing the whites in that bright Florida sun. It was a fun weekend :biggrin:.

These were shot handheld or braced against a railing and were all wild birds, if that is what you call them down there :rolleyes: .

White Ibis
    76861496.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 89574

Great Egret
    View attachment 89575

Snowy Egret (I think)
    View attachment 89576

Snowy (complete with handout hot dog)
    View attachment 89577

Great Blue Heron
    View attachment 89578

Little Blue Heron
    View attachment 89579

2. Very nice captures. Looks like Florida too!

3. Really nice series, Chris. I always thought those folks from Florida staked birds to the ground and then edited out the chains.:biggrin:

4. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks guys.

They don't have to. Florida is one big bird photo lineup.

5. That's all???? That's all we get??? :biggrin:

Excellent captures - that trio of ibises (sp?) is terrific.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots.
    Yep we got lots of birdies.

Ya know, I am getting tired of white birds. eeeeekkk I have shot thousands of them. But I go out and do it again.

7. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Gale. The white guys are tough to keep white. If you get to bored of them, send a few up to us. I am sure that Connie would give them a nice home in the pond behind her place.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2007
  8. nice series Chris!

9. Very Nice Series Chris

10. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Dave and Gary.

11. Nice series, Chris. I have often said, and I think that either Al Gore or maybe Al Franken or maybe Michael Moore, heck, maybe Mickey Mouse made a documentary about it, that all the birds and stuff in Florida, even the Alligators, are trained by the folks at Disney and Universal, and when required they are even placed on tracks. The next thing they are working on is a Weather Dome, to stop the 1 week of bad weather they get per year, can't have it raining on the Tourist Photogs you know :wink: :wink: :biggrin:

Not, of course, that I am jealous or envious or anything, oh no, not me ....... :Guns:

12. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Bill and I think your theory may be the only explanation :rolleyes: .

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Good shots and Florida has just about the right number of birds.

14. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Chris, I thought I was in the wrong thread, what happened to the ducks? Oh, I see, you took a trip to Disneyland. :biggrin:

Looks like you had a great adventure, very nice series!

15. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    There were ducks too but they were, as usual, hard to photograph. The egrets and heron must have been the ones on the clock when I was out :tongue:.

16. MJAM

MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Awesome series, especially like #2. Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.