Florida's East Coast Wakes Up

Until about five years ago the Viera Wetlands were surrounded by hundreds of acres of sod farms and fields, homes to Crested Cara Cara, Sandhill Cranes, and many more wild animals. Now, less than half a mile away, are hundreds of generic 3 bedroom, 2 bath homes with the associated hundreds of SUVs, cars, people with dogs and everything else that puts an end to pristine wild Florida. Now I refer to the area as the Viera Wasteland and I rarely go there. Due to maintenance, the berm roads are, for now, closed to vehicle traffic which is a good thing because you can walk it without having to dodge vehicles and you can see wild birds not being chased away by dogs off of their leashes. Enough ranting. Saturday was a rare, uncrowded day of variety. I'll take it when I can get it.

1. American Kestrel on a side road.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. An eagle that landed near my truck during a break.

3. Moccasin Island Meadowlark

4. Banking Spoonbill in the distance over the rookery.

5. One of two Sandhill Cranes, near where they nested last Spring.

Sad to hear about what is happening at Viera, I was blown back when I visited there this past year and saw the changes. I met Harry, the area ranger, right at the gate one morning and he sure gave me the load down on what is happening around there...not good. I suppose those that haven't been there before will still think it's great, but for anyone that's been there in prior years it sad. Now on to your images, another top notch set Bobby, with that first one being my choice.

I stopped going there in early December because it is, as you describe, a wasteland. I'm blown away and pleasantly surprised at your superb photos as well as inspired to keep going back. After all, it's only 5 minutes away.

PS - If my home is 4 beds/4 baths, is it still generic? 😉

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I agree with your assessment of Viera. But what a stunning set of images you created there! Very well done!

Sad to hear about what is happening at Viera, I was blown back when I visited there this past year and saw the changes. I met Harry, the area ranger, right at the gate one morning and he sure gave me the load down on what is happening around there...not good. I suppose those that haven't been there before will still think it's great, but for anyone that's been there in prior years it sad. Now on to your images, another top notch set Bobby, with that first one being my choice.
Thanks Louie, gotta roll with the changes I guess.

Until about five years ago the Viera Wetlands were surrounded by hundreds of acres of sod farms and fields, homes to Crested Cara Cara, Sandhill Cranes, and many more wild animals. Now, less than half a mile away, are hundreds of generic 3 bedroom, 2 bath homes with the associated hundreds of SUVs, cars, people with dogs and everything else that puts an end to pristine wild Florida. Now I refer to the area as the Viera Wasteland and I rarely go there. Due to maintenance, the berm roads are, for now, closed to vehicle traffic which is a good thing because you can walk it without having to dodge vehicles and you can see wild birds not being chased away by dogs off of their leashes. Enough ranting. Saturday was a rare, uncrowded day of variety. I'll take it when I can get it.

1. American Kestrel on a side road.
View attachment 1653403

2. An eagle that landed near my truck during a break.
View attachment 1653402

3. Moccasin Island Meadowlark
View attachment 1653404

4. Banking Spoonbill in the distance over the rookery.
View attachment 1653405

5. One of two Sandhill Cranes, near where they nested last Spring.
View attachment 1653406
Wow.. Stunning images..

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom