Florida's East Coast Wakes Up

Fantastic images...

I have only visited Viera twice...once about 10 years ago and then again last Winter. I was shocked at the changes. Fortunately, during my last visit the road was closed. I like to walk...so there were far fewer people and vehicles out there. Even then, bikers would pedal by and scare off the birds.

Glenn

I have gone to Viera once a year for the past 10 years. I haven't seen slow changes - just the "Wow, what have they done since last year" shock.

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
I can't do the walk anymore and it's a waste of time to drive there to find the place closed so Viera is off my list. They should have charged money years ago and maintained the road. Even with people near by the wildlife will come (look how Delray handled there 2 parks) if they manage it. Like NO DOGS. The place has always been treated like a sewage treatment plant and that is and has always been the real problem.

I can't do the walk anymore and it's a waste of time to drive there to find the place closed so Viera is off my list. They should have charged money years ago and maintained the road. Even with people near by the wildlife will come (look how Delray handled there 2 parks) if they manage it. Like NO DOGS. The place has always been treated like a sewage treatment plant and that is and has always been the real problem.
Agreed, and see my reply to Dossy's post. "Wasteland".

Steve and I were there on Sunday morning and the wildlife was pretty light. We did see more alligators than in the past months, including some juveniles, so hoping for a good gator mating season. There appears to be some nesting great blue herons on the rookery island, too far for any of my gear but good to see some activity. Still, comparing what we are currently seeing to the last few years, the numbers are way down.

However, the primary purpose of these wetlands is for wastewater treatment. Being a wildlife refuge/preserve is secondary and not budgeted by the county. Considering the upcoming road expansion of the Pineda Causeway that will run just east of the wetlands and the continued building surrounding the wetlands and it will be more than a few years, if ever, before the wildlife returns. This is a great opportunity for government and naturalists to work together and coexist but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

From the Viera Wetlands‘ Facebook Page
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks. Sadly the plant at the entrance to the wetlands accidently spilled 5000 gallons of raw sewage there yesterday. Ironic, considering that I refer to that place as the Viera Wasteland.
”Officials said the spill was contained onsite and was then washed down and the area was sanitized with bleach.“

Not sure if this response was good or bad for the wetlands but it sure was smelly driving past there on Sunday

Real Name
Randy
Why is it that other counties in Florida turn something like this into tourist dollars. The perfect example is Delray Beach and their 2 big parks that attract hundreds of people from out of town to shoot there. And there's Sweetwater Park in Gainesville, that is a beautiful to visit. Everybody has waste water and there's money to be made on it if they use their heads......
[rant over]

Terrific set Bobby! I heard about the changes nearby to Vierra and it is unfortunate to say the least. However, you proved that if you take the time, there are still wonderful images to be captured.

I live near Orlando, born ('58) and raised here... and the growth just continues. I haven't been to Viera in a few years for the same reasons others have mentioned, and it's sad.

I'm fortunate to live close to several good locations. Been focusing on these areas and how they work (when and where to go and what to expect):
- Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive / McDonald Canal Boat Ramp / Newton Park. 15 minute drive.
- Fort De Soto park and Outback Key. 80 minute drive.
- Joe Overstreet Rd. / Joe Overstreet Landing / Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area / N. Canoe Creek Rd. 75 minute drive.
- Blackpoint Wildlife Drive / Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge / Playalinda Beach. 50 minute drive.

Once again great shots to start this thread.

I have no words these are just beautiful.....I am new to the site and the images here are simply amazing thanks for sharing your captures

I live near Orlando, born ('58) and raised here... and the growth just continues. I haven't been to Viera in a few years for the same reasons others have mentioned, and it's sad.

I'm fortunate to live close to several good locations. Been focusing on these areas and how they work (when and where to go and what to expect):
- Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive / McDonald Canal Boat Ramp / Newton Park. 15 minute drive.
- Fort De Soto park and Outback Key. 80 minute drive.
- Joe Overstreet Rd. / Joe Overstreet Landing / Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area / N. Canoe Creek Rd. 75 minute drive.
- Blackpoint Wildlife Drive / Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge / Playalinda Beach. 50 minute drive.

Once again great shots to start this thread.
Thanks. And I'm a fan of Orlando Wetlands.

Just received an update on Facebook:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom