Florida's not the only place for birdies. (4pics)

We get some here in deepest, darkest California :)

Of course, I'm just jealous that you guys got together and had so much fun.

egret_snowy_mosslanding_18feb05_ndsc7709.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

gbh_pinto_5feb05_ndsc7251.jpg

pelicans_pinto_5feb05_ndsc7127.jpg

gull_ringbilled_pinto_3feb05_ndsc7032.jpg

All with the Sigma 80-400mm OS on a D100.

Neil

Very nice Neil. I really liked the snowy egret shot (the others also). How's the Sigma 80-400 doing? It looks pretty good from these pics.

HarryB said:
Very nice Neil. I really liked the snowy egret shot (the others also). How's the Sigma 80-400 doing? It looks pretty good from these pics.
Thanks Harry.

The Sigma is doing really well so far. I'm very pleased with it, especially given most of what I've shot has been at 400mm and wide open @ f/5.6 - the results have been very pleasing indeed.

Neil

Re: Great shots!

NeilCam said:

Moss Landing... hmmm. Maybe we could organize an expedition for N. California members ....

Neil,

Really super spectacular stuff.

Looks like a great lens.

Oh, we had a great time. Wish everybody could meet up somewhere for a week. :>))

cheers
Gale

Beautifully done Neil. Luv the colors, looks sharp with great detail and saturated nicely!! Hey California is only a day and a half drive. LOL.........doesnt look white down there, whats up with that!!!

Keith

UncleFrank said:
NeilCam said:

Moss Landing... hmmm. Maybe we could organize an expedition for N. California members ....
I think that's a great idea Frank!

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. A few of you commented on the colors and I'd like to discuss that in a little more detail if I may.

Some of the nice saturation I put down to boosting the color by 20 under Nature in Color Booster in NC 4.2. Might mean somewhat unrealistic colorations, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The other side of the colors is that I finally found a WB setting that works for me and my D100 - Auto -2. I think too often we accept what we're told in various fora about the "correct" setting (in the case of the D100 it was initially Cloudy -2) and don't experiment enough to find what works for ourselves. Well at least I didn't experiment for a long while. I stress "MY" D100, because I also suspect that sometimes there's variation between individual cameras of the same model and what works for one individual camera may not always work for another individual camera.

Hopefully that makes sense and I'd love to hear your take on colors.

Thanks again everyone for the positive comments.

Neil

NeilCam said:
[Some of the nice saturation I put down to boosting the color by 20 under Nature in Color Booster in NC 4.2. Might mean somewhat unrealistic colorations, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Neil, really nice stuff, I love Santa Cruz. Let me know if you Northern Cal folks ever make a trip up past that little state Oregaon in between us.

Interesting that you should note the "color boost 20". I just anwswered a very similar question from Gaye in my Juanita thread. Best I can say is "Great minds think alike" :wink: , that is about the touch I give mine often as well, although at times it is still too much, so I tone it down. But in general, I really like what Capture 4.2 does. On the other hand, I am working with the RML beta, forcing me to learn a lot more regarding Curves, and it is pretty darned amazing in the rendering category as well.

Good stuff, glad to see you here. Aren't you glad you aren't a bit further South where everything is just flooding away?

Excellent shots Neil. I think you are going to like it a lot here. Lots of folks with the same passions.... :wink:

Frank

Latest threads

Top Bottom