Flower "Action" Shots w/105 VR!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by gnagel, Jul 21, 2008.

1. I noticed a few interesting flowers while walking back to my car after lunch. I tried a new technique with my D300 and 105 VR for these.

It was windy and the flowers were blowing around. So, I pretended I was shooting sports images! For most of these, I set the camera on continuous focus and held the AF-ON button down so that it would track the flower. I also went with some rapid bursts in the hopes of getting some in focus. Overall, I was pleased with the results.

Here are a few:

#1: Purple strands
    p668775677-5.

#2: Flower curtain
    p590049329-5.

#3: Ball of orange
    p1000975584-5.

#4: Hanging hooks
    p1000432584-5.

#5: Birthday cake candles (flower)
    p568576109-5.

#6: Flower bell
    p921901939-5.

EXIF information is embedded within each image. As always, comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

2. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    With the exception of #5, I think they are pretty impresive!

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    All good, my preference being no3.

I like number 5 in theory however it could do with being a touch sharper, there is nothing that really grabs the eye.

Thanks for sharing.

4. Thanks!

5. Thanks...

That's interesting about #5. Does this one work any better? I think it is sharper, but still doesn't have anything specific to anchor the eye...

p895135248-5.

Glenn

6. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Actually, when I was looking at these, I thought #1 is your weakest, and #5 is actually your strongest - at least it made me stop and go "wow".

7. Thanks for your perspective on this. I kind of liked #5 as well as I was striving for a more abstract look. I wasn't trying to achieve ultimate sharpness throughout the image. It's always interesting to read the various opinions on photographs.

Glenn

8. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I think I prefer the first one Glenn. I felt it had a bit more of an 'anchor' point even though it wasn't as sharp or pronouced as I'd like.

I can see what you were getting at in terms of an abstract look however I'd prefer if something, even if it was just a tiny point to be sharp.

9. Robert,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

I also preferred the first image to the second one I posted.

Glenn

10. An impressive set and thanks for describing the technique you used. I will certainly try it. I agree that number 5 made me stop and look. I think it's my favorite.

11. Thanks Steven

12. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Wow these are very nice. How did you get them to stay still long enough to keep them so sharp? I'm forever fighting with the wind....and losing.

13. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    Greg, I think number 5 is interesting, personally

I like pattern shots, at least I think this would be considered a pattern

in that case I like it that no one thing catches the eye

edit - I like the original 5 better of the two

14. Thanks!

I tried to wait for the breeze to settle before pressing the shutter. But, having the continuous focus helped as it actually tracked the flower while it was moving. For the most part, the shutter speeds were fast enough to stop the movement of the flower--and the VR helped to minimize any camera shake.

Glenn

15. Thanks for commenting.

I was definitely going for a pattern shot on #5--and I also tried to achieve that gradual blur of color effect.

Glenn

16. dstangier

dstangier

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon
    #3 really caught my eye.

Dirk

17. Thanks Dirk.

I thought #3 had an interesting combination of colors--orange/red, purple, and blue. It struck me as being very different.

Glenn

18. kiankheong

kiankheong

Nov 19, 2007
    Malaysia
    What a lovely set.

Love viewing all of them.

19. Thanks kiankheong

20. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Very nice Glen... I never thought about flowers as sports.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.