flower and flies

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, May 18, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Guess where the nectary glands are located?

[​IMG]

my best,
    Jerry Snider

2. Rob G.

Rob G. Guest

Wow it's really busy at this diner :)

Nice photo.

Regards,
    Rob.

3. OH WOW!! What a wonderfully lucky shot. Way to go, Jerry!! :D :D :D

4. Yikes, the invasion of the body snatchers. Obviously this blossom has something they like. Nice image for sure.

5. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    very nice. shallow dof really makes the eye jump to the flies.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Excellent 5 sided composition! Did you train those flies to do that? ;)

7. GREAT SHOT JERRY.
    PETE

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Now that is a neat shot. I'll say the same thing to you that they say to me on the bird forum; do you have a set of trained flys??

:lol: :p

9. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Doesn't everyone? :lol: Nah, I think the flies must have been intoxicated because I returned to this flower a few times attempting to get a decent photo. Although this one isn't decent exposure wise, I had to remove the Sto Fen diffuser and hit the flower with full flash simply to get enough light in to expose the dark colored flies. The flower was in REALLY deep shade. Rather contrasty to say the least. Likely took a dozen shots as the flies were slowly moving around then all of a sudden I see the arrangement shown in the photo. I thought that at least the symmetry warranted sending the pic, even with the many things wrong with it.
    My best,
    Jerry Snider

10. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Glorious shot.

11. If you are interested in what you are seeing then read on. If not skip this post.

These flies have followed the nectar lines to the place that the nectar resides. The nectar lines are the darker ones and they absorb ultra-violet light. These, as well as most other insects, see at this wavelength and consequently the lines look like highways to heaven. The rest of the petal reflects the UV. light and this makes the lines stand out even more. These lines can be seen from the back of the flower and AT NIGHT, so the insects are guided to the nectar regardless of the time of day.

Take a close look at the flowers in your garden or those growing wild, and you will be amazed at the variety and design of these lines within flowering plants. I especially like those that are associated with Foxgloves. They are designed like footprints in the snow. I hope to take some pictures of these this year and tell you about this remarkable flower that CHANGES SEX AS IT GETS OLDER and or becomes impregnated by a bumble bee.

Welcome to The Sex Life of Flowers by Bob F.!!!

Hope this was not too boring. Bob F.

12. Nice pic! I love the symmetry.

Also, nice lesson from Bob. Couldn't have put it better.