1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flower around my workshop...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Nikon D200 with -as allways- Tamron SP 90 - 1:250 @ f/13 - ISO 100 - RAW

Lighting: 100W Elinchrom flash into a 24" x 24" softbox at 45° above and front, a 4'x8' white reflector on the left and an SB80-DX (1/8 power) 4 feet above. Background was a piece of black velvet.

original.

Cheers,
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  2. Always love your work with the softbox JP, this one is just awesome!, beautiful color and sharpness... Love the drops...

3. Beautiful work! I have got to practice this stuff more......

4. Thanks Rich and Sonya !

Two things that i can't live with since i've discovered them: my Tamron SP 90 f/2.8 macro and my Elinchrom 100W with the 24x24" softbox :smile: !

Cheers,
    J-P.

5. Well, I have the Tamron, and I have strobes and softboxes......I've gotta find some flowers and try this! Your results are amazing!

6. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Great pic! I believe the flower is from a Rose of Sharon, which is the same bush my spider thread was on.

7. Hi Bill !

Yeap ! I learned that it's a kind of Hibiscus, that grows -almost- wild here... but i allways thought that hibiscus grew only in rather hot countries !?!?! ...which Switzerland certainly isn't :wink: !

Cheers,
    J-P.

8. This is spectacular. The sharpness is amazing. Is it multi exposures getting different areas sharp, then blending in post processing?

9. J-P,
    another fantastic image
    and i'm so happy to hear the info on the way it was created

thank you

10. Hi Terry ! Thanks for the kind words !

It's ONE shot only, but with an f/13 lucky DOF :tongue: !

Cheers,
    J-P.

11. Thanks Greg !

...now that i beleive i KNOW how to use this technique, i wish i had the courage to try other techniques for macro and/or flowers :redface: !

Cheers,
    J-P.

12. Well I'll be sure and give f13 more attention on my 90 di

13. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Thanks for explaining the lighting, JP. Very nice shot.

14. Mind you, the Tamron SP90 is sooooo good that i don't mind shooting well above f/13... i used it sometimes up to f/64 without really noticeable loss of quality ! That's when you get to 1:1, but in reality it corresponds to a "real" f/38 or so... (from what i read) !

Cheers,
    J-P.

15. You're welcome Leif !

I don't mind to divulge my shooting or lighting techniques, as i learned -and keep learning- most of it by reading on Internet :wink: !

Cheers,
    J-P.

16. Very colorful and sharp, great pic JP

17. I'll experiment with it. Thanks for the information. We usually have a breeze here so I can't get my shutter too slow. But I will try it on a still day.

18. Thanks Phil !

:smile:
    J-P.

19. That's why i mainly shoot flowers INSIDE ! :tongue:

Cheers,
    J-P.

20. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    J-P,

Would you be willing to explain or post a link to an explanation of the f/64 being equivalent to a real f/38?

Thanks,

Leif

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.