Flower, Bee, and the Z7

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I managed to capture a fly pollinator on a flower using a 10mm wide lens on the Z7 body. The reason I used a wide angle (extremely wide) is to add drama to the regular photomacrography. I liked the result, so the next day I went to the field and tried some more. It was a bit windy and flowers were swinging like crazy and I was shooting like crazy just to focus on the pollinator on the flower, using both the EVF and the rear monitor. I ended up shooting more than 2000 shots, which is not so bad. What is bad is that it took me four hours to go through all the pictures at home. An amazing conclusion of this endeavor is that not a single shot came out good. A good news is that I did not add any mileage to my Z7 shutter - I used silent; no moving parts.

So I decided to change my strategy... For the next two days, I went to a poppy field before all the flowers are gone. To make a short story, I took close to 6,000 shots on my Z7 there. My new strategy is this: Do not use the EVF nor the rear LCD monitor. Just fire blindly! Using my Voigtlander 10mm, I carefully focused on a flower, about an inch from the lens surface. Now, keeping that lens focus unaltered, whenever I found a bee on a flower, I just brought my camera+lens close to the bee and fired 9 fps! In total silence. I was just guessing the distance. (Some of you with macro photography experience may know that the depth of field is razor-thin!)

You may be wondering if I got anything this time. Well, I did get a few shots that have a reasonable focus on the pollinator bee. But shooting close to 8,000 shots is really an abuse of the camera to say the least. I hate to see you doing this and having to replace your D850's shutter unit after a year. With my abuse, I did not click a single shutter, a mechanical shutter, that is. I am not a sport shooter requiring 12-14 fps. But even in seemingly "peaceful" nature photography of bees and flowers, the camera undergoes physical abuse. Hopefully, my XQD card did not get overheated too much during the shoot.

One comment I would add about the 46MP image of the Z7 is that no one need that kind of resolution. Any 10MP camera would suffice for any work you need to accomplish, but then, nowadays, even a low-end camera seems to have a minimum of 24MP! The 24MP is more than enough for anything, unless you are making a wall-size print or billboard. Even there, considering the proper viewing distance, I would say 24PM is plenty. But one thing I realized is that when my composition/framing is not good, I can crop my picture and I still have enough resolution. Crop, crop, crop and I still have a 20MP left. The Z7 is the best camera for a sloppy shooter - like myself! If your framing is more accurate, I believe the Z6 is a better choice with faster 12 fps, and probably better ISO performance!

All the photos here are JPEG straight from the camera. No manipulations (I see some sensor dust on some). I use a 64GB card, but many of my shots contained a large sky area, and perhaps because of that were fairly small in file size, like 18MB. So I was able to shoot close to 3000 shots in FINE FX. I had only one battery but it was enough for a day shoot. Actually, I have not tried RAW with the Z yet, come to think of it, but since this Z7 produces such good JPEG mages, I am just being too lazy to use RAW...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom