Flower close up (pic)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Ping279, May 30, 2005.

1. Took this the other day... taken with Nikon 70-300 with 6T close-up filter.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Oh wow, Nathan!!! That's amazing!

3. That's awesome,Nathan. When you use the close up lens, does the lens have to be at its maximum focal length to work?

sarhento

4. Oh no, what the filter does is actually work as a diopter which means it decreases the lens' minimum focus distance. So with my 70-300 lens w/o the close up filter the closest focusing distance is about 5 1/2 feet. When I put the filter on that changes to about 8 inches. The focal length doesn't have to be at 300mm either, like you were asking. It can be used with any length. It's a very nice addition. If you have the 70-200 VR like most people, the close up filter offered for that size lens is the cannon 500D. I've never tried it myself but what iv'e seen and heard of it, it seems to work very good. Hope i've helped!

5. Thanks for your reply, Nathan. I went to your gallery and I noted that you use this lens a lot. Do you like this lens? I have it but I find it a little noisy.

What do you think is the optimal setting for this lens?

sarhento

6. I like the lens... but really only for macros. I used to use it for most of my other shots other than macros but have found it to be a little soft. I've never noticed it being "noisy". The lens shouldn't have any effect on the noise in your picture, or are you talking about noise as in the sound? It doesn't seem to be loud to me, i've never heard it be too loud. It could be that you have the older 70-300 version. I have the 70-300ED. You might have the original 70-300 non ED. But to get back on track, the noise in your pictures are directly effected by the ISO, shutter speed, and range of shadow areas in your shot. Are you seeing too much noise in your shadow areas? If so that has nothing to do with the lens but rather your camera settings. I hope this was helpful.

7. I should have been more clear - I means sound noise. As it hunts to focus, I find the sound a little loud for my taste. Oh yes, I have the ED model, too.

8. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Interesting perspective. nice capture

9. Nice shot Nathan..........very detailed!! :D :D :D

10. Nice perspective and DOF!

always inspiring to surf this Forum!

Thanks for sharing!