Flower closeups w/Tamron 180 Micro

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Steve S, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Didn't realise just how tough it is to get critically sharp closeups even with a tripod! These were shot on timer, but Think I really need to use the MLU feature + cable release next time, due to the considerable mirror slap. A lot of them still came out slightly blurred. Slowish shutter speeds with a very slight breeze might've also been a contributing factor, I dunno. Anyway, these are the best of the bunch. Enjoy............ :Unsure:
    [​IMG]
    ISO:100; E:1/40 s; A:f/10.0; Flash::No
    [​IMG]
    ISO:100; E:1/90 s; A:f/10.0
    [​IMG]
    ISO:100; E:1/50 s; A:f/11.0

2. These are very good Steve. You will be amazed at what the MLU and release will add to this type of shot. I do not see any real negative issues in these tho.
    dave

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Dave,

That's because I carefully scrutinized all this morning's shots @100% mag in View, and pitched all but these 3! :biggrin:
    Thanks for the affirmation. Next time it's MLU & cable release!

4. Nice ones Steve...tough to do MLU etc out in the field with bugs moving, wind, sun going behind the clouds...but...it makes a difference :smile:

5. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Nice shots Steve.
    Would somebody please explain why MLU (presumeably Mirror Lock Up) is used when photographing in Macro/Micro mode please? Does this apply to the D70s?

6. Steve your picture are very good. The more magnification the more difficult it is to have a sharp image if you have a little wind. I think that Wimberley make a kind of flexible arm which you can use to lock the bottom of the flower with a grip which could help stabilized the flower in light wind.

7. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    I use this little gizmo, it's called a helping hand. One clip can support the black foam board background, the other holds the subject.
    Camera was an Olympus C8080, hand held. (Burn him, off with his head and other bits!!)

Helpinghand1.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks guys, and fyi, MLU

which is not offered on the D70, is when the mirror goes up, (blacking out the viewfinder in the process), then is released by the shooter after the vibration from the mirror slap dissipates. I like your "Helping Hand" gizmo, Rob. Wonder if they also make one with an attached light for closely examining objects with that magnifying glass?

9. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    In these pretechy parts we resort to mirrors and candles Steve.:smile:

10. Steve, nice closeup pictures. Some other tricks besides MLU and release : stops down to f/22 and smaller to get greater DOF (the Tamron 180mm is still sharp at f/32), uses a viewfinder magnifier such as the DR-2 for better focus adjustments and for the wind, brings with you a kind of portable wind-screen (a medium size carboard for example) (I use a Fotoflex 32-inches multidisk for fill light which become handy to cut out wind).

11. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Steve:

These shots are wonderful! :smile: That second one shows such crisp detail....Gilles is right, the slightest bit of wind when taking macros can and will ruin a shot. I like to get a day when the sun is out, the wind has stopped and the light is right....... :rolleyes:

12. It makes you appreciate some of the fine Macro images that get posted here doesn't it Steve. Your images are quite nice and you will continue to improve I have no doubt. Way to go.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

Pretty flower shots. As a point of comparison, I don't use MLU or remote release for macro shots in the field (or garden :smile:), and I get a pretty high percentage of keepers. As others have said, the wind is usually the culprit when the shot comes out blurred.

So how do you like the 180 Tamron?