Flower ID Please, and a few Dragons

Flower ID and a few Dragons.
It has been awhile since I have been able to go out and shoot. I went to the river today to photo a building and as it usually goes, when the light got iffy, ended up shooting something else.

This flower is shrub like, and was 4 feet above the ground. it is about 5 to 6 inches across.
70/200 and short tubes.
large.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Stamen Details 70/200 full set of tubes.
large.jpg

It's in here somewhere.
large.jpg

These are growing on a pond. 200/400
large.jpg

The dragons were shot with the 200/400, and tubes.
large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Bumble bee 70/200
large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice pictures.

The first two are indeed some Hibiscus.
#3 is a thistle (genus Carduus) with a soldier beetle digging for pollen
#4 is a water hyzinth (Eichhornia sp.)

Cheers

Nice shots! I wouldn't want to stick my nose into the blossom in #2 to enjoy the fragrance:biggrin:. I like the lighting and dark background in the third Dragon shot, too. Thanks for sharing your work.

Can't help you with the flower, sorry. Beautiful dragons....

Thanks. This is the first time I have tried to shoot them this year. I missed some wonderful dragon shots, had a beautiful mating pair, but 1/80 in a wind, just doesn't cut it. I had lost the full sun and a front moved in early, just my luck on the day I decide to get out early. LOL

What a great set Tom! The first is a Hibiscus variety I believe. Beautiful sharp bee on that last one... I really like #3 too, though the centered comp is a bit dull...

Your right Rich about the compo, I was in knee deep weeds, after a 2 shots of the thistle, I found myself under attack by fire ants:eek: and retreated beyond the 200 micro range; I suddenly had lost all interest in the flower.

Very nice pictures.

The first two are indeed some Hibiscus.
#3 is a thistle (genus Carduus) with a soldier beetle digging for pollen
#4 is a water hyzinth (Eichhornia sp.)

Cheers

Thanks for the ID Harry. I thought it might be in the thistle family, but it was much taller than I was accustom to seeing, maybe it's height was due to the afternoon shaded location, dense growth and competition for the light.

Nice shots! I wouldn't want to stick my nose into the blossom in #2 to enjoy the fragrance:biggrin:. I like the lighting and dark background in the third Dragon shot, too. Thanks for sharing your work.

This flower was fun to shoot. I could not figure how to convey the bumble bee action I saw, in pics.

The bees went to the back/red of the flower, so incoming traffic would land before finding the flower occupied. Many many fights broke out, which I recored, albeit out of focus. This went on for a long time, until a bull of a bee settled in, it was a bit obvious that somehow the other critters knew him and knew he was in the flower, ( pheromones?) for he went unchallenged during his lengthy visit. He stayed so long, I had to ease him out to improve the action and air traffic. It is most fun watching nature so closely:smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom