Flower ID please

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by DanielD, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Hello, took this last sunday in the park where I made my dragon fly shots.
    Does anybody know how that flower is called? I have a small flower guide but couldn't find it in there.
    Thanks

162567597-O.

2. If I remember correctly it's called Lantana. A tropical plant (I don't know its origin) that has been spread all over the world for decorative purpose.
    It is much appreciated by butterflies.

Cheers

3. Thanks, Harry, you were right. I just needed a keyword for the Wikipedia .:smile:

This one is called "Wandelröschen" (lantana camara). And my small guide doesn't list it. Obviously it doesn't list tropical plants...

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes. Butterflys love these plants.
    People here plant lots of them for a butterfly garden:>)) along with other flowers that butterflys like

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    In South Africa they are considered to be weeds. I couldn't believe that people actually bought them when I moved to the U.S.

6. I purchased two varieties a few weeks ago. They're absolutely beautiful. I saw some at Home Depot last week and they were over 18 inches tall!! I had no idea that they could grow so tall!! They are part of my butterfly garden. No butterflies yet, though...:frown:

7. .

Gale is spot on here. They are especially liked by Heliconidae as they are a Genus, if not the only one, that can store pollen for ages in their 'pouch.' This is very useful when there are no flowers about.

Opps. :eek::eek: I think that the Genus Ithomidae, (Clearwings), can do this as well.

BW. Bob F