Flower ID Please

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by rlhaas, Jul 5, 2007.

1. rlhaas

rlhaas

Jan 24, 2007
    Everett, WA
    Here are three wild flowers I shot on the way up to Lake Twentytwo this week. I have no idea what they are. My wife thought the first was some type of honeysuckle but I haven't been able to verify that. I got buzzed by a hummingbird while shooting it. The bird flew close to me and then flew off about 10 feet and looked at me with what I interpeted to be disgust that I was keeping him\her from feeding. Any help identifying these plants will be appreciated.

View attachment 104242

Here is the second wild flower:

View attachment 104243

And the third (I think this could actually be honeysuckle)

View attachment 104244

View attachment 104245

Other photos of my hike can be found at: http://www.pbase.com/rlhaas/lake_22&page=1

Comments and critiques are always welcome!

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    First one is Western Columbine.

3. rlhaas

rlhaas

Jan 24, 2007
    Everett, WA
    Thanks for the ID Baywing. Anyone know the other two?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very pretty images and flowers
    No idea on the ID though, sorry

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Second one looks like a dogwood of some type, maybe pacific dogwood?

6. rlhaas

rlhaas

Jan 24, 2007
    Everett, WA
    It does look like a dogwood flower. However, these were on a very low ground cover type plant so I don't think that is what it is. The plants I saw were no bigger than 6 inches tall.

I was looking through an audobon book yesterday and couldn't find it. The first one is a Crimson Columbine rather than a Western Columbine. Your ID put me on the right track however!