1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flowering Hedge -- Comments Appreciated

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by SoCalBob, Sep 14, 2008.

1. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Nothing terribly special, just some very beautiful blooms on the flowering hedge by my carport. Taken with the D80 and 70-300 VR lens demonstrating the excellent sharpness and smooth bokeh of this lens (Aperture priority, 1/400 @ f/5.6, ISO 200, 140mm). JPEG Large, Fine, the only PP was a bit of cropping and very modest USM.

2851962923_8cd42fb06c_b.

Comments appreciated; specifically, do you think the DOF is just a little too shallow and I'd have been better off using f/7.1 or f/8?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  2. I like it quite a bit Bob. I often vary apertures within a single set, and see which ends up looking best. After setting up a shot, it it pretty easy to cycle through a range of apertures. I typically do something like: 2.8, 5, 8, 10, 16...

3. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks for the suggestion, Rich, that's one I'm going to try in the future. It's darned hard to judge DOF from the LCD, and I wish I'd captured more of the flowers in focus with f/8.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.