Flowers and Flash

I've never liked florals taken with flash. It seems to rob the blossoms of their gentle beauty. But my impression is changing now that I have an SU800 and have begun taking the flash off camera. I did these shots of a bouquet using 2 flash heads off to the side, with one of them in bounce mode.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 91940

View attachment 91941

Frank, for me, the appeal of these shots lies in the fact that you have either created or maintained delicate shadows in areas where I expect to see shading when viewing the flowers with the naked eye under normal lighting conditions.

Very nice work.

VERY nice! Heh, I remember back when you were a proud charter member of the FCAS....
Not just a member... I was the founder, chief reviewer, and the entire Applications Committee - lol. It was great fun, and I learned a lot about photoshop in the process.

These are wonderful and prove that good things can be done with flash lighting after all....
It was really a cinch using an SU800. And having a glorious subject didn't hurt :cool:.

Frank, those are really well lit. The possibility to dettach the flashes from the body opens up endless possibilities. I don't have the SU-800 but trigger the flashes (R1 and SB800) with the built-in flash of the D200. The downside in comparison to the SU-800 is that I have to enter the menu each time I want to change the flash settings.

Anyway, the results are great, almost looks as if no flash was used - same is true for your Whiskey bottle shot in the other post.

Cheers

I don't have the SU-800 but trigger the flashes (R1 and SB800) with the built-in flash of the D200. The downside in comparison to the SU-800 is that I have to enter the menu each time I want to change the flash settings.
There's no problem using the built-in flash as the Commander, but I never fully understood "groups and channels". The su800 simplified that stuff so well that I've finally grasped it, and now I could probably use the built-in flash. But the other advantage of the su800 is how reliably it triggers the flashes, even when their receptors are pointed in the opposite direction. IR signals must be more potent or maybe IR bounces off walls and such more efficiently than visible spectrum light.

B

BigPixel

love the soup can in #1 and #2 is very fine. Great color and lighting Frank.

love the soup can in #1 and #2 is very fine. Great color and lighting Frank.
Aloha, Mike! Thanks for the kind comments. The lady who gave us the bouquet runs a floral service out of her home, and grows most of the blossoms in her back and front yards. I shot a wedding with her in 2005, and here's the traditional bridal bouquet she created.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

She also does some funky stuff, which I call her Tin Can Bouquet Collection, putting arrangements into unexpected vases, like old soup cans and catsup bottles. My wife loves them, and makes sure I take a picture of them before they wilt. I just wish I could capture the aroma along with the visual. The Tin Can Bouquet that Thea gave us two years ago is framed and hanging in Nancy's office.

View attachment 91943

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom