Fly extreme closeup

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Duncan C, Jul 2, 2008.

1. I got a set of Kenko tubes for my birthday, and today is the first time I've gotten images using them that I've been happy with.

There were some small flies buzzing around a decomposing log in our backyard, along with a large number of ants I uncovered when I rolled it over. My intention was to shoot some ants, but they never did sit still long enough for me to get a decent shot.

The flies, on the other hand, were unusually cooperative. They would land and sit in the same spot for quite a while, and didn't spook if I approached them slowly.

The following image was shot at closest focus with my Tamron SP 90 mm 1:1 macro, plus all 3 tubes (36mm + 20mm + 12mm = 68mm) and lit with my SB-800 plus a pop-up diffuser on the end of the lens, as described in a recent post here.

Here's a reduced sized image of a 100% crop:
    large.jpg
    But you should really click on the following link to see it at full size:
    Fly 100% crop

Shot in raw, levels adjusted, sharpened, cropped, converted to an 8-bit sRGB image, and saved to a JPEG in PS CS3.

Regards,

2. dude... that is insane!!!! What was the zoom equivalence?? You said you had 68mm of extensions, so how does that add up with the 90mm??

Oh yea, spectacular photo!

3. quyd300

quyd300

Apr 3, 2008
    Houston
    Awesome! I have the same combo, but never try it that way. Very well done!

4. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    that thing is disgusting.

great detail though :smile:

5. I am really impressed with your shots, what do you think the magnificaion is, 3x or more ??

6. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    That is one cool and awesome shot.

Thank you for sharing.

7. Tom,

If I'm figuring it correctly, the magnification is around 1.75:1

(Magnification is a factor of extension/focal length. The way I figure it, the Tamron already has 90 mm of extension to get 1:1 magnification. I'm adding an additional 68 mm of extension, for 158/90, or 1.75555:1

Remember, 100% crops of a 10mp image have a LOT of detail. That makes te image look more magnified than they really are.

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    OMGOSH...what a stupidly awesome shot. It's like he's saying..."Hey dude...like my shades?" Wow I am impressed - the detail just makes your eye look at everything. He has eyebrows.

P.S. Ok my son says stupidly awesome (which means - totally rocks).

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

:confused:...you lost me at "If I'm figuring it correctly"

10. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    wow!

thats really cool!

11. Well that show you what I know:smile: i thought the magnification was all in the glass, never considered a built in Ext. tube:biggrin: Learn something new everyday. What shutter speed did you use??

12. Amazing shot, Duncan. The sharpness is unbelievable considering the magnification you have achieved and the thin DOF. Well done.

13. CAClark

CAClark Guest

Awesome shot, that fly is a thing of sheer beauty.

I still haven't had a good chance to try my Kenko tubes yet. Maybe when the weather settles more hopefully.

Cheers!

14. Duncan,
    FANTASTIC

15. The eyes are absolutely amazing...

16. Another fly closeup

Here's another shot of the same kind of (or the same?) fly.

First, the whole fly:

large.jpg
    (click the image to see a larger version with EXIF data)

And a 100% crop of the same image

large.jpg
    Be sure to click the image and see the full sized 100% crop of this one. The reduced size image doesn't do it justice.

17. archangel

archangel

Apr 15, 2008
    ny
    wow. that is insane!!! that first pic you posted scared the crap out of me :smile:

18. Looks like the zoom is about 2:1

Ok, rather than trying to calculate the magnification, I decided to try and measure it.

I shot a picture of a metric ruler, and checked to see how many mm are in the frame at closest focus. I got somewhere a little over 11 mm. Call it 11.5 mm.

According to dpreview.com, my D200 has a sensor that's 23.6 mm across.

So, I'm expanding a 11.5 mm subject across a 23.6 mm sensor. That means I'm magnifying it by 23.6/11.5, or about 2.05:1. Sounds like 2:1 to me.

BTW, I posted a couple of other sample images to this thread, but they got buried in the thread. Here they are again, hopefully easier to find:

Here's another shot of the same kind of (or the same?) fly.

First, the whole fly:

large.jpg
    (click the image to see a larger version with EXIF data)

And a 100% crop of the same image

large.jpg
    Be sure to click the image and see the full sized 100% crop of this one. The reduced size image doesn't do it justice.