Fly softly and carry a big stick

I was up in St. Augustine for a couple of days last week.
Near perfect weather, birds were cooperative.
This rosie flew back and forth nest building several times- I was lucky enough to get 3 full approach series, about 30shots each, as he was inbound.
Lots of pics to go through.
gary
st augustine 42621   14929.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Louie and Mike. Easy when these guys cooperate.

How are you all dialed in on the A1?
The A1 really worked pretty well. I shot in wide focus mode for much of my bif- and in that mode would sometimes get lost when the bird started in a busy background. It would lock on the background and not grab the bird for the first couple of seconds- and I do have response set to fast, so it should not "linger" on the wrong subject- but it did a couple of times. In those situations the tracking modes worked great.
I haven't pushed iso yet, had lots of light- actually pretty east conditions. A1 did great.
gary

Thanks Louie and Mike. Easy when these guys cooperate.

The A1 really worked pretty well. I shot in wide focus mode for much of my bif- and in that mode would sometimes get lost when the bird started in a busy background. It would lock on the background and not grab the bird for the first couple of seconds- and I do have response set to fast, so it should not "linger" on the wrong subject- but it did a couple of times. In those situations the tracking modes worked great.
I haven't pushed iso yet, had lots of light- actually pretty east conditions. A1 did great.
gary
Gary, did you use bird eye focus? Nice ones.

thanks all!!
Allan, I had eye bird focus on essentially all the time.
It worked really well, but once in a while just plain failed. It would grab the background and miss a whole series. Next 10 series worked great.
Not perfect, but it worked most of the time- if I could see the eye in the brush, so did the camera.
gary

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom