1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flyfishing in Alaska - Final comments

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Pa, Aug 19, 2008.

1. I would like to thank all who took time to look at all of my pictures in Parts I, II, and III in this series, and to give special thanks for all the kind remarks recorded there. The photographs were not intended as fine art, but simply as documentary evidence of a fine time, and to help us remember.

Now I would like to alert those interested to a serious threat to this pristine wilderness: the Pebble Mine project. A huge area north of Iliamna Lake is being developed as a potential copper and gold mining area which has the potential to destroy the main watershed streams of Iliamna Lake. It is not too late to stop it.

I would also like to recommend a few books for those interested in this area and the Alaska Outback. The first is Rivers of life : Southwest Alaska, the last great salmon fishery / photographs by Robert Glenn Ketchum ; essay by Bruce Hampton. This book has fantastic photographs of the Bristol Bay area while telling the story of the Bristol Bay fishery.

Then a pair of books by Bob Durr: The Coldman Cometh and Down in Bristol Bay. They tell the story of a tenured full professor of English at Syracuse University who left everything to move his family to Alaska for subsistence living in the bush.

Happy reading!

342809685_wGgTw-O.
    NIKON D40    ---    18mm    f/8.0    1/60s    ISO 200

2. Bumping this back up because I would like for it to stay with Parts I, II, and III.

3. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.