Flyfishing in Alaska - Part I

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Pa, Aug 18, 2008.

1. My with Beth and I spent July 10-28 in Alaska, and included a 1-week stay at Copper River Lodge near Iliamna Lake. I have posted quite a few pictures on my web page, and thought I'd give a little travelogue here for the fisherpeople in the group, and those interested in the Alaska outback.

More than half of these pictures were taken my Mrs. T.

To reach Copper River Lodge, you must catch an Iliamna Air Taxi flight from Anchorage to the village of Iliamna on the lake.

342810822_8gzXZ-O.

Arriving in Iliamna. The weather was not encouraging.

342810856_JyHnS-O.

After a three-hour wait for the weather to improve on the other side of Iliamna Lake, we boarded a Dehavilland Beaver for the flight across.

342810877_kNsfn-O.

Cockpit of the Beaver, which was built in 1957:

342810929_Hxrk6-O.

After a 20-minute flight across the lake, guides from the lodge met us at Intricate Bay to load into a motor boat for the final leg of the trip.

342811432_weJ9G-O.

After a short boat ride, we got our first view of the lodge:

342811014_5jnjr-O.

342811066_9MTUH-O.

342811083_AHxvS-O.

The guides soon had us rigged up and out fishing on the Copper River. I quickly hooked up with a nice rainbow trout...

342811526_fyi6Z-O.

342811474_zytEY-O.

The next day's fishing was cold and rainy, but the guides provided us with a nice hot lunch. This is guide Nick cooking bratwurst:

342811638_BeU8v-O.

Brad was my guide on Day 3; he is from Gore on the South Island of New Zealand.

342811149_9iz7y-O.

Alaska Rainbows are the last pure strain of wild rainbow trout, and are the main reason I go to Alaska. In addition to their beauty, they are very hard fighters. No, we did not keep any of them; they were all returned to the stream to fight again another day.

342811194_nqs93-O.

On our way back down the river, we encountered Mama Bear leading Junior out to the river to learn how to catch salmon:

342811300_JL9ZB-O.

2. Awesome! just awesome! I GOT to go there

3. Super jealous! Man that looked like a great time.

4. Jim,
    incredible thread
    that rainbow trout is beautiful
    thanks for taking us along for the ride

5. You really must. And go before it gets too crowded!

It was wonderful. Be sure to look at Parts II and III - even better!

My pleasure, Greg.

6. That is incredible!!! Seems like a wonderful experience! Thanks for sharing!

7. Nice! Brings back memories, Jim. Several years ago now I flew on a Beaver out of Iliamna to the Nushagak River for a week of battling big rainbows like thd ones in your pix. Were you there for the Silvers? I long to return there, and will one day, the Good Lord willing. Thanks for sharing these!

8. Wow, I have got to get my fly rod out and catch a trout or two but the weather here has been rubbish and my local rivers are dirty and high. Good to see a fellow kiwi out there doing a bit of guiding! I have always had a bit of a dream to fish Alaska - I better add it to my bucket list

9. Noahhh

Noahhh

Aug 4, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Wow, nice photos.

Looks very similar to the trip that I take annually with my dad and brothers. We even fly in the De'Havilland Beaver too.

10. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Nice Shots !!!

WHAT A COUNTRY YOU GUYS HAVE !!!
    It looks all so perfect, places like that are totally me !!!

Kind Regards

Johan

11. Thank you all for your kind remarks; I'm glad you enjoyed coming along on this adventure.

Please see my final remarks in a separate thread.

12. Catch and release.... now I understand why the guide was cooking bratwurst instead of fresh trout. great shots. have to look at II and III.

13. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    Jim,

Super shots, I felt like I was there with you, that would be a really
    nice vacation.

Thanks for sharing,
    Phil..........:smile:

14. I love the 7th image with the welcome sign and the dog... great shot

and it looks like you had fun :smile:

15. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Wonderful fishing, fantastic scenery, even bears! Love it!

16. Yep, the rainbows are all returned. Salmon are another story, but by the time they enter the stream they can only be caught by snagging, which doesn't interest me.

Thanks, Phil. Again, my wife took most of the photographs!

Thanks, Scott; that's one of my favorites too. We had just arrived at the pier in the jon boat when I saw the dog and I couldn't get the shot off soon enough!

Thanks, it was quite an adventure.

17. Incredible shots, I feel like I went on the trip with you.

18. Thanks, Louie. Again, I deflect credit for the photos to my wife.

I hope you have found Parts II and III.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.