Flyfishing in Alaska - Part III

Meanwhile back at the lodge...

Crab and brie in puff pastry; another gourmet appetizer prepared by chef Aaron.

342809914_U3LZX-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Seafood kebabs, broccoli with red cabbage, and fruit salsa.

342809930_CrGC9-O.jpg

342809949_uX7ut-O.jpg

Apple baked in port wine with brie cheese garnish:

342809970_37yaZ-O.jpg

Gwen looks envious:

342811386_QGe5S-O.jpg

The last day, we were treated to another flyout trip, this time to the headwaters of the Copper River. The guides mentioned a portage or two, but we didn't expect this:

342810008_nL8YA-O.jpg

After landing at Upper Copper Lake and loading the rafts, we soon found ourselves in some fairly serious whitewater at the Lake outlet:

342810138_tCjY5-O.jpg

At the first waterfall, we carried the gear around and let the guides shoot the falls in empty rafts:

342810205_hceE9-O.jpg

The second fall presented a greater challenge:

342810282_WFZUF-O.jpg

The guides studied the options...

342810347_4KvtU-O.jpg

...and released the empty rafts...

342810372_3hi9g-O.jpg

...to be caught by Nick in the pool below.

342810400_V4MGM-O.jpg

...while the rest of us lugged the gear around.

342810448_PkAAk-O.jpg

Chocolate lilies:

342810509_qofrx-O.jpg

Nagoonberry flowers:

342810534_PBASP-O.jpg

I think Dan must have been giving extra tips; here two of the guides coach him to a good fish:

342810557_Wnfky-O.jpg

Busy bees working the alpine arnica:

342810598_pXQKx-O.jpg

White yarrow and fireweed.

342810666_W5aRQ-O.jpg

Enjoying the pictures at the end of the day with the guides:

342810745_KAsas-O.jpg

All too soon it was time to board the Beaver to begin the trip home.

342810809_4PQwv-O.jpg

THE END.

Thanks for looking.

I've studied anglers for about 20 years and I know that anglers (especially fly anglers) and photographers are twins separated at birth--in terms of dedication to technique, equipment, location and the spirituality of our pursuits! It as much about doing as it is about "capturing" and we both revere the stetting and the rewards of our product.

Your series brings joy to my heart and. . . God, I wish I was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRAVO!

Jim:

First, let me say, WOW, the photos you took of the trip are wonderful. What lens did you find yourself using most often? The color and contrast of the pics are just great - almost like being there (well, not quite). They also say a lot for your ability to compose the shots - all great.

Second . . . man that's roughing it in style - looks like meals at a 5-star restaurant, not a cabin in the middle of nowhere :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm about 4 years from retirement (I hope) - and Alaska is high on the 'got to go there' list. I've never been there - looks like a wonderful trip. Is your wife a fly fisherperson too?

Sorry for the long post - wonderful shots - priceless memories.

What a fantastic series and wonderful vacation spot! Thank you for sharing.:smile:

Glad you enjoyed it. My pleasure.
Jim:

First, let me say, WOW, the photos you took of the trip are wonderful. What lens did you find yourself using most often? The color and contrast of the pics are just great - almost like being there (well, not quite). They also say a lot for your ability to compose the shots - all great.

Second . . . man that's roughing it in style - looks like meals at a 5-star restaurant, not a cabin in the middle of nowhere :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm about 4 years from retirement (I hope) - and Alaska is high on the 'got to go there' list. I've never been there - looks like a wonderful trip. Is your wife a fly fisherperson too?

Sorry for the long post - wonderful shots - priceless memories.

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, most of the pictures were taken by my wife, so she gets the credit! D40 plus 18-200VR.

Do get to Alaska - it's wonderful.

If you find my web page, you can see pictures of my 2004 trip to a different lodge.

You were in "Gods Country", beautiful and unspoiled.
Thanks for posting these wonderfull photos.

I would like to thank all who took time to look at all of my pictures in Parts I, II, and III in this series, and to give special thanks for all the kind remarks recorded there. The photographs were not intended as fine art, but simply as documentary evidence of a fine time, and to help us remember.

Now I would like to alert those interested to a serious threat to this pristine wilderness: the Pebble Mine project. A huge area north of Iliamna Lake is being developed as a potential copper and gold mining area which has the potential to destroy the main watershed streams of Iliamna Lake. It is not too late to stop it.

I would also like to recommend a few books for those interested in this area and the Alaska Outback. The first is Rivers of life : Southwest Alaska, the last great salmon fishery / photographs by Robert Glenn Ketchum ; essay by Bruce Hampton. This book has fantastic photographs of the Bristol Bay area while telling the story of the Bristol Bay fishery.

Then a pair of books by Bob Durr: The Coldman Cometh and Down in Bristol Bay. They tell the story of a tenured full professor of English at Syracuse University who left everything to move his family to Alaska for subsistence living in the bush.

Happy reading!

342809685_wGgTw-O.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom