Flying Black-crowned Night Herons with Nikon 1 V3

I went to Wheeler Dam on the Tennessee River to make photos of flying birds. I wanted a smaller bird that was more of a challenge than the Great Blue Herons and the Great Egrets. The Black-crowned Night Herons were just what I wanted. Nikon 1 V3 and Nikon 80-400 mm VR II lens.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JPS

Wow..... Now you decided me to bite the bullet on the V3 !!

OTOH, I wish I had around here, spots like yours, where you know you will find birds !

;)
J-P.

This looks really good! I'm content with my V1 but what I find irritating is that the V3 uses yet another battery type and uses micro-SD cards for storage. I find that these little buggers are easily misplaced...

This looks really good! I'm content with my V1 but what I find irritating is that the V3 uses yet another battery type and uses micro-SD cards for storage. I find that these little buggers are easily misplaced...
The card is small and I download with the USB cable. I am concerned my old hands will break it. It is a new battery but runs a long time. I made 1498 photos on the outing and some of those handheld with the VR running.

Jerry, good to see your results. Have these been processed and cropped? I like them!

I am about to post a set of processed images from my last outing, a few cropped down to about 30% of the image or so. My battery life has not been as good, perhaps because I am driving a 400mm f2.8.

So far so good. If we can get any decent light I may try now with the 1.4TC on the 400mm, as well as some 80-400 and 70-300 to compare.

Jerry, good to see your results. Have these been processed and cropped? I like them!

I am about to post a set of processed images from my last outing, a few cropped down to about 30% of the image or so. My battery life has not been as good, perhaps because I am driving a 400mm f2.8.

So far so good. If we can get any decent light I may try now with the 1.4TC on the 400mm, as well as some 80-400 and 70-300 to compare.
The photos have been processed and cropped. I try to limit the cropping and fill the frame as best I can, which is not easy with the fast flying birds. Many of my photos from this outing had missing body parts of the birds. My D800E has spoiled me with its ability to allow significant cropping. I am looking forward to seeing your results.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom