Flying Delta

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dburanich, May 3, 2005.

1. Next week I am flying to Florida with my wife. I just purchased a new backpack type camera bag for the trip. I know I should have done this before I bought it, but I looked at The Delta website and they say their requirements for carryon baggage is 22x14x9. My new bag measures 17x14x10. Any idea how stict they are right now on this requirement? I would hate to have to check the bag in because I am 1 inch too big.

2. Dave,

I don't think you will have any problems. I just flew Continental from Newark to Houston couple weeks ago and couple guys had HUGE carry-on bags without any problems.

I would probably call them just to make sure. I never flew Delta.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. You will not have any problem....

I frequently fly with the Lowe Pro Pro Trekker and have never had a problem...

5. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I've seen guys (post 9/11) getting on board carrying on an overstuffed backpack AND a full-size duffle bag. Personally, I hate carrying lots of bags through the airport. I certainly overstock my carry on bag (computer, PDA, camera, GPS, and accessories), but I'm always happy to check my clothes.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent. I've never seen anyone actually check the carry-on bag using the plexiglass "Does your bag fit in here?" devices at the gate or break out a tape measure, so I'm sure your bag will be fine. I have had to have my computer bag tagged and stowed on small commuter flights if they were crowded, but never on a big plane no matter how crowded.

6. Hi Dave,

I worked for the airlines for 7 years and I can tell you that they are not going to be strict about being 1 inch over. Remember the bag will give an inch when put in the overhead bin anyway so don't worry. You are fine.