flying for photography ?

Real Name
Randy
my worldwide photography tour has come to a screeching halt with no end in sight. I don't think I can get on a plane for 5 hrs until there's a vaccine.
Anybody flying for photography yet ?

p.s. can't even drive to Florida, probably not until next year

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Maybe - but unlikely - late this year. Luckily, we were able to go to Tanzania for 15 days in March.
And we did take a 5 week trip mid-May through the end of June in our 5th wheel. We drove from Tennessee to California, then made stops in Las Vegas - Page, Az - Moab, Utah - Denver, Co - Mt Rushmore, SD - Mitchell, SD - Des Moines, Iowa - Indiannapolis, Indiana - on the way home.

Looks like trips in 2021 are already booked up. And I won't make a $1,000 non-refundable deposit for a trip in 2022!!!!! Trip organizers need to get realistic about deposit and refund policies!!!!!!

A friend fly from Tampa to Salt Lake City and then on to Alaska a few weeks back. He wore goggles along with a mask. He said all was fine. I would not fly now though.

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want to drive to Florida when the temps cool off, maybe October, but I'm concerned about Airbnb. For food I can do drive thrus because I'm not ready to go into a restaurant (or grocery store) yet.

Even car trips can be a bit daunting. I have a car trip planned for Vermont that will be as safe as staying in my own home. However, if current regulations remain in effect, before going there my wife and I will have to either quarantine for 14 days or quarantine for 7 days and get proof of a negative test result. Who knows if it will be possible at that time to get the test done, much less get the test result back quickly enough?

I planned a birthday party for my 70th in December with just seven people but I'm not optimistic that I'll be able to make that happen. Maybe it will happen by my 72nd birthday!

I'm concerned about Airbnb
I've already done one AirBnB and have two more planned later this year. We disinfect the place first thing before taking anything from the car to inside the place. We take our own pillows. We take all of our food with us and cook all meals in the AirBnB. No need to stop for food along the way, once we get there or on the return home. Obviously, this works easiest if the AirBnB is within one day's drive of our home, as Karen hasn't loaned us her truck and fifth wheel. At least not yet. :D

Real Name
Randy
I haven't looked into that. What's the typical cost of a rider?
I just checked and now instead of a rider the policy either comes with it or not
I use squaremouth.com for insurance and usually John Hancock but they aren't covering Covid and lesser priced policies do so I'll be switching.
A $5800 trip to Costa Rica is about $400 and that covers alot of stuff including medical evacuation ($100k), trip cancel for sickness or if the company goes out of business

Real Name
Randy
I've already done one AirBnB and have two more planned later this year. We disinfect the place first thing before taking anything from the car to inside the place. We take our own pillows. We take all of our food with us and cook all meals in the AirBnB. No need to stop for food along the way or once we get there. Obviously, this works easiest if the AirBnB is within one day's drive of our home, as Karen hasn't loaned us her truck and fifth wheel. At least not yet. :D
thanks, good tips !
I figure an airbnb is always better than a hotel

I figure an airbnb is always better than a hotel
A motel is probably just as safe. Treat it the same as you would an AirBnB. Tell the motel that once you have arrived, nobody goes into the room other than you until you check out. My next-door neighbor is going to a motel next week and that's the motel's standard procedure these days.

Real Name
Randy
A motel is probably just as safe. Treat it the same as you would an AirBnB. Tell the motel that once you have arrived, nobody goes into the room other than you until you check out. My next-door neighbor is going to a motel next week and that's the motel's standard procedure these days.
I'm actually less worried about a hotel room's being clean....a hotel means more people and that's the potential problem

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Going nowhere until late 2021. All of my trips for this year were cancelled (Budapest, Istanbul, London, Vancouver, New York), so I'm just going to sit and wait.

I planned a birthday party for my 70th in December with just seven people but I'm not optimistic that I'll be able to make that happen. Maybe it will happen by my 72nd birthday!
Me too, at the end of this month. I guess that means more of my wine for me, and more when friends do come to celebrate!

No trips planned; have cancelled a few NW wine trips, trips to see friends in the region, and a trip to England.

Hoping to head to Colorado in February but holding off on making any plans until as late as possible. We’ve cancelled everything this year and but staying hopeful for 2021.

No plans here for traveling anywhere any time soon! Spring and summer trips were canceled and I'm just sticking close to home -- heck, even a half-hour's drive to a local botanical gardens feels like a big deal now! Am looking forward to the temperature around here cooling down a bit and the humidity becoming significantly lower again before I go back to Meadowlark for a few hours of shooting.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom