flying for photography ?

Real Name
Ken St John
We took a trip across Washington state in May and stayed overnight at a Marriott/Residence Inn. I was actually quite impressed ... the check in was essentially "touch less" and our room had that distinctive disinfected odor on arrival. Everything was spotlessly clean. The only thing "missing" that I could see was the "free" breakfast buffet we usually enjoy (yeah, not gourmet ... but you can't beat the price!), but that's what McD's made a drive through for!! Considering the potential liability exposure involved, I'm pretty confident the big names (Marriott, Hilton, Best Western, etc.) are doing their darnedest to make sure their guests are safe. However, I would be more concerned about many smaller "mom and pop" places or an Air BnB.

Besides ... remember 98+% of us are "clear" anyway!! I know, it only takes one infected bugger to ruin your day ... but the odds are certainly in our favor if we take precautions and exercise some common sense. I keep latex gloves in the car now for fuel stops, wear a mask in populated places, etc.

I don't think I would take a plane anywhere right now, but I'd be pretty comfortable with a car trip ... especially when outside of metro areas.

Just don't have a place to go right now!!

Cheers!!

Ken

We are avid travelers as many of you here know. Our last trip to Europe in April, 2019 was interrupted by my stroke. Since I made a full recovery we were planning to go back to Italy this past Spring, but you know how that worked out. Our Sicily tour with Road Scholar is completely paid for, and we can still do it up to three years from the original booking. So we intend to do that when conditions permit.

Now we are putting all travel planning on hold until next year.

I had planned to go to stay last May with the parents of some friend of mine who have a coffee farm in Central Brazile but had to postpone the trip because of Covid.

Fortunately there was no financial hit because I usually wait to buy flights until the last minute and normally buy insurance to cover own emergency health situations so I had not laid out payments of any sort.

I still plan to go to Brazil — once things get back to reasonably normal.

I am also discussing with a Cape Town friend the possibility of going back to Botswana and Namibia in September next year but we are keeping our plans entirely fluid until we see how the Covid situation evolves.

At the moment both Brazil amd most of Southern Africa have been badly hit by the virus (and anyone travelling on a U.S. Passport is considered to be a total pariah everywhere!) so all my plans will remain entirely fluid for the time being.

Luckily I live in a gorgeous part of the country (which is almost akin to living in our own National Park).
Trails into some 100 acres of a protected nature reserve lead directly out of my own garden so I really have no urgent need to take a flight to anywhere else.

Just cancelled our December trip to Hawaii, second time we cancelled this trip, the first was in April where we would have been in Quarantine for 14 days. Our Airfare rebooking is good for two years without a rebooking fee. Guess I’ll settle for a month in Wyoming in September photographing those Fall Colors.

Real Name
Ken
As my wife and I are both considered high risk, we are going nowhere for the time being despite our love of travel. I would consider a day trip, but from many articles that I have read, public restrooms are often considered higher risk for many reasons, and we are quite risk averse for the time being. Safe travels to those who do venture forth.

--Ken

We, of course, canceled our road trip this spring, but what really hurts is I have access to the cape, and I would have been there several times this year, especially for the dragon and Mars shots. Not going to risk it. Coved is out of control. If anyone missed it, here in Ga we had a YMCA camp with 540 youths. 260 of the 375 tested were positive.

If you have 34 minutes to spare, this is an excellent webinar from Va Tech Dept of Food Science and Technology.
https://video.vt.edu/media/Clip+of+...,+Stores,+Restaurants,+and+Gardens/1_dyj3uqp3

I was traveling for work 3x a month - From VA to Denver, St. Louis or CT. A long weekend trip to Austin canceled in April as was 14 day Ireland vacation in May and my wife's HS reunion weekend in Nashville in Oct......So far no biz travel scheduled as working from home is allowed + saves the client $$.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom