Flying over the Namib Desert in Namiba

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Oct 2, 2005.

1. We went flightseeing over the Namib Desert in Namibia. It was in a 4 passenger small plane and lasted about 1.5 hours covering about 225 miles, often only 200 feet over the dune tops. It was a little hard to shoot through the plexiglass windows, but most of the shots turned out OK.

We started out flying over rocky parts of the desert where dolerite dikes make black hard rock intrusions into the older granite formations. This leaves black-lined peaks since the dolerite erodes more slowly than the granite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we went over the dunes with all their strange shapes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The desert runs right up to the Atlantic Ocean:
    [​IMG]

This coast is called the Skeleton Coast because of all the shipwrecks. The shifting sands can form beaches in front of the wrecks and eventually they are inland, like this wrreck from 1910:
    [​IMG]

It was a very interesting flight,
    Bob & Nan

2. Really interesting shots, Bob! I had seen a series on dpr a long time ago on the Namib. It's a place I'd like to visit one day. Great photo ops! I think it's cool how the desert there ends at the ocean. Talk about a great beach!! :)

3. really faxcinating series Bob. The one beach shot shows "something on the beach half way up in the picture. Have you enlarged it to see what that was? almost looks like a beached whale.
    superb stuff, i am envious.
    Dave

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great and interesting images...
    I really like them.

Dave is sharp .. Wonder what that is.. Or a shadow.

5. Dave & Gale,
    I'm not sure what it is, looking at the photo in actual pixels still does not resolve it. It may well be the beached ship in the next photo, they were only 3 minutes apart. It might also be a group of basking Sea Lions that we saw 6 minutes later or other groups nearby. The beached ship was the farthest south we went, the plane turned around there and headed back north.
    Here is one of the groups of Sea Lions, it would look like a black blob from far away:
    [​IMG]

Bob