1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flying Shadow

Discussion in 'Birds' started by keirin, Jul 14, 2007.

1. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    A redbellied woodpecker wonders if he should fly off to join his shadow -

[​IMG]

2. Nice sharp Picture

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    It took me a minute to figure this one out. I assume the shadow was cast by the mate flying above this one? It's a beautiful image!

4. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    nice job.I have one that every morning bangs away at my gutters at 6 in the morning.even my neighbors hear him.

5. Beautiful capture.

6. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    Thank you. Yes, the shadow is actually cast by the missus, who's about to land with a load of grub for their woodpeckerlings in the nest hole. The traffic of the two adults shuttling in food sometimes provides the opportunity to get both of them together in the same frame:

[​IMG]

Sincere thanks to all who've stopped to look and comment.

7. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Nice Shots.

8. Whoe that last one is beautiful, fine detail and color. Have you printd it yet to see the bottom line.:wink:
    Lou

9. I like th elast shot you posted - good interaction between the two birds. Is this your yard. If so, you are lucky to have a spot so close to study the woodpeckers.

10. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    Thank you. They're nesting in the Magic Tree about forty feet from our back door. (Our Magic Tree has been home this year to Screech Owls, starlings and now this redbellied pair. Sadly, the owl nest appears to have been plundered shortly after the owlets were old enough to appear at the cavity hole). Such easy access to the birds has given me opportunities for pictures that far outstrip my photo skills, but I've quite enjoyed trying.

[​IMG]

I've lately been trying for some pix of the birds in the air, but so far there's nothing but near-misses (focus has been especially hard with a 600 mm AIS lens, but the 300 f4AFS hasn't done any better for me yet either).

Another from this morning:

[​IMG]

I used to laugh to hear people ask for more than 5 frames per second too, but not anymore.

Thanks to all -

11. Keirin, you have some excellent captures in this series. I would agree with you there are times that 5 frames per second just doesn't get it done. Great job with all of these shots.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Keirin,

Most excellent set of pictures. I also agree that sometimes 5 FPS just isn't enough, unless you just get lucky. With regard to catching these little guys in flight, Andy (Glacier) has been doing some tests with stopping the wings on small birds. He has found that 1/2000th is the minimum shutter speed. Faster is even better. You may have to open the aperture and boost the ISO to get speeds this quick, but that's the trade-off.

Wish I had a magic tree. :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.