Flying white birds @ the Rookery

Discussion in 'Merritt Island II' started by Kevin Scott, Jun 7, 2005.

1. It's taken a little bit to go through these photos and find some that others haven't posted. These are snowy egrets and great white egrets all taken at the Rookery. Have to give Frank his props. He convinced me and Gale to shoot manual. He gave us the initial settings then we tweaked them accordingly. I was surprised at how many keepers I had with these white birds against the overcast white sky! Only when I switched to shooting the white birds against the darkness of the trees then forgetting to switch back did I encounter problems. But they were noticed quickly and adjusted. Thanks, Frank!! :)

A great white egret
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here are a couple of snowy egrets
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Yes - very good exposures. I do not know how you would shoot such an extreme target other than on manual.

3. Thanks, Rory. It was the first time I ever shot manual but now my confidence has built and I'll be doing it more often.

4. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Kevin -

Great captures. Frank taught me the same lesson too, and I got a few good and well exposed fliers. But I had a terrible time reacting fast enough to get the expletive deleted birds in my viewfinder and acquire focus. Most of the reason is lack of practice, but I also didn't like my setup - my 200-400VR on a full Wimberley. Next time I'm bringing a hand-holdable 300/4 for flight shots and save the big gun and Wimberley for "portraits". What setup were you using for these?

Gordon

5. Hi Gordon, thanks for the kind words. I originally was using the 300 f4 AFS but it was too long at times. It was also challenging trying to keep your "expletive deleted" birds within the HSC frame. That's tough!!! Anyway, I switched to the 80-200 f2.8 AF-D.....much slower focus but great optics. I started hearing some gear noise that day so don't know if it was too much for the lens. May need to make a visit to the lens dr. ;)

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin,

You did great. Really super images.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    More great shots Kevin. I first learned to shoot in manual when the metering on my D2H failed. Since then I have used manual on a number of occasions where the typical birdie background varies significantly during a single sequence from very light (sky) to darker trees or water.

By the time I get my shots processed and ready to post, every possible shot will already be covered. Oh well. :wink:

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent series Kevin.

9. Thanks, oh ye masters! I was really intrigued by the wing structures of these birds. You definitely don't have time to notice while capturing so it makes it more interesting to study the shots afterwards. The last shot is one of my favorites of all that I took. I think it just looks neat how they're such graceful flyers but look so awkward when on approach to landing. The last one's wings look like an angel's wings to me. I'm weird, I know. ;)