FM Plug-ins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyJay, Apr 4, 2005.

1. I'm noticing that a lot of you guys use FM plug ins. Can you please list which ones you use, why and how they improved your process. I don't want to go on plug-in spree but I'm curious which ones you find "necessary" in your post-processing.

Thanks in advance.

2. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    So Far I've bought:

DRI Pro - I still use this a little. I'm working on my own technique for better results.

ISOX Pro - Very little use (I don't use high ISO much)

SI Pro - I only use this when I need to print big & the lab doesn't upsample to their own standards. Only problem is the plugin keeps crapping out & screwing up PS

BW Workflow Pro - Quick & Easy, works as advertised. I'm doing more of my own now

Nikon D70 CS Pro - Don't use the camera anymore = Never used the action

Velvia - Most used action from FM. I own the previous version. Never felt a need to upgrade.

The thing I've found is I use the FM actions less and less as my PS skills improve. I just find that I can do a better job on my own, with more precision once I understand what needs to be done.

Just my $.02. I hope that helps.

Dave

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jay,

I'm a real PSCS rookie. For that reason, I bought the Intellisharpen and Resize Pro plug-ins. So far, I'm very impressed by my results. I'm sure that with experience, I'll be able to get similar results, but right now, I'm glad that I go these two.

I'm also interested in the Velvia action. I may give it a try when my bank account recovers from buying PSCS, and the two plug-ins that I have.... :?

Frank

4. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Flew,

For velvia you may want to consider another one from MSoo.

He has just released a new Velvia plugin that seems to be great. You may want to ping Anand for more info. I know he has a copy & had some time to experiment.

The action can be found:
    http://www.soocool.com/software/

His sharpening action is quite good too. It just take awhile to get used to. Once you get more familiar with PS & Layers, I would suggest giving it a try.

Dave

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Dave. I'll check it out.

Frank

6. I use WP Pro for downsizing, B&W action, Velvia, and used to use Intellisharpen Pro until I came across Pixel Genius' Photo Kit II which is superior but more costly.

7. I use Intellisharpen Pro, BW Workflow Pro, Velvia (which I have not tired out yet) and the resize plug-in. Really like the BW and Intellisharpen.

Gil

8. I have Intellisharpen II.
    After my regular initial corrections in Nikon Capture, I save as a 16 bit TIFF to finish the job in PS CS. In CS I apply a pass of LAB lightness channel sharpening, followed by a low settings pass of Intellisharpen. Works for me and the result is great, not oversharpened.
    I have a thread on it here (with an example a few posts down in the same thread): https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=1837

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.