1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fm10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CharlesVincentPhotography, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Hey everyone,

i have a question. Well this coming school year, ill be taking photo in school and i need a film camera. I was looking into getting a FM10.

My question is: Does anyone know if the lenses i have will fit the FM10?

I have the 18-55 VR. 55-200VR. 70-300 Telephoto. 50mm f/1.8.

Thanks for any response!

2. The 18-55 vr, 55-200 vr and 70-300 are all G lenses and as such need a the thumbwheel on the body to control aperture. The 50/1.8 if its a d lens with aperture ring should be fine. All these lenses will mount without issue on the fm10 since they are all f mount and you *could* use the g lenses on the fm10 but you would be sorely limited.

3. Hi Charley,

I've got an N80 with the MB-16 attached you can have. It will work with your lenses. Here's the rub. When you're done with it, pass it on to someone else on this forum who is going to school, looking for a film camera for class, and posted a similar request.

PM your addy, and it's yours.

4. Wow Roger,

Thank you so much. I sent my address. Ill probably only keep it until i have more money to get my own, but that still, thank you sooo much man.

I appreciate it so much.

Pay it foward: ill be sure too.

5. Hi.

Great idea with the N80.

The 18-55 and 55-200 are DX-lenses, so they will not work properly with a film (= FX) camera. You will experience heavy vignetting due to their design for crop-sensor cameras.

The 50 and the 70-300 will be fine.

Regards

Mattes

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow! Roger, that's a sweet deal! N80 is a super camera. Charlie, you will be the envy of your class! It's great that you are taking a film class. Let us know how it goes for you, please!

7. Super, super cool! That's what the Cafe is all about!

8. this is why I love this place :) 
    I have the same set up that I was attemting to sell, but now I think I might take it on our getaway to Philadelphia this weekend then pass it along to someone that is looking to learn the SLR ropes...

bravo

9. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Way to go, Roger!

10. I will Chris!

And roger i cant thank you enough for this. This is why i too, love the cafe.

11. One of the most "made me smile" posts I have read in a long time!

12. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    55-200 is not bad

Actually, according to some test I did, the 55-200 can work pretty decent on the N80. (I bought N80 from KEH recently). Any DX that is shorter zoom probably has more problems. Another exception I found is the 35mm G 1.8 worked pretty well also. I know it is DX, but still pics looked pretty good and I have seen others using them on D700 with some success.

I did pick up a cheap 28-80 zoom which was common kit lens on these types of cameras and that is what I use mostly today. I just use the film camera for fun and don't shoot a lot of volume, as that can get expensive these days. My only point is test the lens for yourself and you may find the longer focal lengths can be used to get you some reach. The wider end is where the DX lenses will definitly start viginetting and waste film.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.