Focal length for Oshkosh

Real Name
Norman Long
Hello Everyone

I am travelling from Australia to attend Oshkosh for the 2011 show, what focal length will i need for the afternoon flying events?? and what hints/tips can you give me, any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

T

Ty Webb

Oshkosh, Wisconsin? I'm about an hour from there. If I get a chance to go, we should meet up!

T

Ty Webb

As for focal length - bring lots of different lenses for different perspectives but many people I have seen use 200mm+

I will have to keep an eye on this post. Plan on heading up there for the first time this year.

So far my only complaint is their schedule isn't the best. It seems vague and parts missing. For example I think it was the B-xx (don't recall) bombers showed up last year when they arrived they were in a formation. Awesome to see the picture but nothing mentioned it online.

Also anyone heard anything about the space shuttle showing up? Last year I read this years theme was space exploration and they were going to try to get a shuttle to show up on the back of the 747. I can't find anything on it so I'm guessing it's not taking place.

A 70-200 with your tc's would be ideal, but I see you don't own one. You might have to haul the 200-400.

+1

The 70 to 200 VR is excellent for air shows. That and the 300mm f/4 are what I use, plus the 24-70 for ground shots. Also suggest the 70-300 VR. I used it at an air show once, it is a good alternate if you don't want to lug your 200-400. TC's wont work with it, but it is very sharp and not too expensive, Adorama has some Nikon refurbished ones for $440.

http://www.adorama.com/NK70300AFVRR.html

James

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I shoot with the 200-400 on the flight line up there, and used a crop body most of the time, you should also do fine with the full frame bodies you have too.

Also, the layout and runway direction is perfect for using a polarizer on the lens with the sun at your back in the afternoon.

good luck.

Real Name
Norman Long
Thanks Wade

I will be bringing all my gear 200-400 and converters which i am used to shooting with, i will be going to home depot or similar when i get to the states to buy a small trolley like a golf buggy to haul my gear around and make it easier on my ageing body !!

cheers

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I would say, D3s with 200-400VR and 1.4 TC would be perfect on the zoom, since I shot D200 and D300 with 200-400VR naked. Shutter speeds won't be a problem since for a lot of things you will want slower shutter speeds for prop blur.

Oshkosh is the one time I shoot with shutter priority, 1/200 or so for props, and 1/1500 for the jets, and I let the aperture float about.

Just left of main center on the flight line is about perfect for most things, and I would keep the D700 for the 24-70, for everything else and when they taxi right in front of you.

You want the buffer for the flybys so use the D3s for the in flight shots and other shots. You will get very good at zooming and panning all at the same time, and keeping the aircraft centered in the viewfinder. The zoom on the 200-400 allows you to zoom out as the aircraft gets closer and closer. The secret is with your left hand starting out with it zoomed in all the way, and place your left hand further around the lens than you would normally hold it so as you zoom, your hand will end up near the bottom of the zoom ring instead of on the sides. Lots of practice and your arm will get tired, but in a good way.

good luck, going to miss the B29! I really wanted a shot of this. (70-200 time probably on that shot because of the size.)

Real Name
Norman Long
Wade

As we say in Aus ''Thank's a lot mate !!"

Really appreciate you taking the time to give me such valuable info,,,,,its a long way to Oshkosh from Melbourne,,we fly to Sydney Aust then to LA i think then to Chicago then to Appleton then by bus to University of Wisconsin where were staying,,,i reckon i'm dedicated,,,i am travelling with a buddy of mine our wives (strangely) dont want to come,,,,,,,could have something to do with the 3 month tour of UK and France and all their air shows and museums we did recently,,,,,maybe they just want a break from us old crocks,,,,!!!

anyways thanks Wade

Norm

Latest threads

Top Bottom