1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Focal length overlap, suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ashman, Sep 24, 2008.

1. I have too many lenses now covering a similar focal length, wondering what to get rid of.

Right now I have a Tokina 12-24DX, Nikon 17-55f2.8, Nikon 16-85VR and a Nikon 24-85D f2.8

The lens I use the least is the Tokina so I am thinking I will sell that. I think the 17-55 trumps the 16-85 in terms of quality and IQ however the 16-85 has a little more reach. The question is, is the 16-85 better then the 24-85D? Personally I think I prefer the 24-85D to the 16-85. I know that I will still have some overlap if I keep the 24-85 as it intrudes on the 17-55 a little, but in terms of the extra reach I think its ok. I don't shoot a the wide end a lot, so losing the 12-24 wont be that bad.

Thoughts?

AM

2. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    if it was me I would sell the 16-85 and the 24-85. pick up an 85mm prime and or one of the 70-300mm's.
    But this depends on the type of shooting that you do.

3. ....I'd also vote for Darrell's suggestion in terms of what to sell. Then its a question of what focal length(s) you'd shoot most and how fast you'd need them to be. Primes could fill in there....or even the 70-200. Lots of options.

4. Well I just got rid of a Nikon 85f1.8 because I wasn't using it, so I don't need another prime. I already have a 70-200f2.8VR so that is covered. I shoot more people/portrait then anything else and like the versatility of zooms.

5. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Do you think that it's a good idea to get rid of both your zooms that go to 85mm?

With your DX D300, it seems to me that it would be better to hang onto the 16-85mm.

6. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    I wouldn't be nearly that concerned about overlap and some lenses "intruding" on others. As long as there are reasons to go to a particular lens that justify having it around, does it really matter if it "overlaps" with another and "intrudes" on it? Just figure out what combination of lenses best covers all of what you want to accomplish, and sell the rest. Rather than worrying about overlap, I'd worry about what glass best does what you want to do. If that means that there's some overlap, fine. Overlap can be another word for flexibility, and flexibility is good. Also, I wouldn't be that worried about reach, either. You already have the 70-200 for that. If it's worth it to you to have a little reach in a smaller package, then keep one of the zooms that go to 85. Otherwise, I'd probably just get rid of the 2 lenses that go to 85. Everything that's left has a well-defined and useful purpose, and you're not really missing much capability.

7. Hi, AM! I haven't run across your posts in a while. Are you getting much use from the flash gear?

Congratulations on your new lens. You now have what many consider the ultimate 2 lens kit... the 17-55 and 70-200VR combo. If you don't mind the size/weight of the 17-55, you could really sell both the 16-85 and 24-85.

8. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I'd say like Frank. Personnaly I have the 17-55 and 80-200 and that's basically my PJ kit that I'd never do without !

9. Streamline your kit, you'll feel better about yourself. Don't go overboard though and sell something you'll actually need. I've done that a couple times. So be very meticulous.

10. Thanks guys, yes Frank I am getting use out of the flash gear, just haven't done any portraits lately. I am strongly considering selling the 16-85 and the 24-85, still looking for more advice though.

AM

11. I know you like the 24-85/2.8-4, so consider hanging on to it and just selling the 16-85 for the moment. I'd keep the 12-24, too, until you're sure the 17-55 is a keeper and is wide enough for your purposes. That way, if you don't like the 17-55, you can sell it and still have complete coverage from the 12-24 + 24-85 combo.

12. Thanks Frank, good advice as usual.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.