Focus and Recompose using focus tracking on Z6.

Yesterday Nick (Palouse) posted a link to a YouTube video in a thread Mike Buckley started. I didn't want to sabotage Mike's thread with a photo of my own. I watched the following video that Nick shared. Monochrome Memoirs

I was testing it out and found an application that I want to experiment with more. I like trying out face and eye detect with the kids. But it is a pain to constantly be switching between that and dymanic focus that I also like to use. Today I had the camera in auto focusing mode. I wanted to get a photo of the orchid with the blossom on the right in focus. So I hit the ok button. Brought up the white tracking square. Then I hit and held down AFOn and the square turned yellow. I continued holding the button while I slowly moved the camera to the composition that I wanted. The tracking square stayed right on the blossom I had chosen. While continuing to hold AFon I pressed the shutter and got the shot. Then I hit the minus magnification button to turn off the tracking square and was right back in face detect/eye detect mode. I think that I can use this with the kids to be able to quickly go in and out of eye autofocus. I will try it out more this weekend while we are camping with some of the grandkids. I'm pretty sure that this is the point of the monochrome memoirs video. I'm just a slow learner and have to learn while doing. I don't learn while just watching a video.

_DSC7468.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then I hit the minus magnification button to turn off the tracking square

Did you have to custom program the minus magnification button or does it automatically work that way in that situation?

I'm just a slow learner and have to learn while doing. I don't learn while just watching a video.

I'm the same way. Worse, I have the added complication that if I don't use something regularly, I have to learn all over again how to use it.

I'd say easier than moving the focus point manually.

One of my minor complaints about the Z6 is that it's not possible to move the focus point gradually across the scene, at least not that I can tell. It moves, depending on the pertinent setting, either from focus point to focus point or from mid-point between focus points to the next focus point to the next mid-point, etc., etc. On my D7000, the focus point gradually scrolls, making it possible for me to stop it virtually anywhere in the scene I want.

One of my minor complaints about the D7000 is that it's not possible to move the focus point gradually across the scene, at least not that I can tell. It moves, depending on the pertinent setting, either from focus point to focus point or from mid-point between focus points to the next focus point to the next mid-point, etc., etc. On my D7000, the focus point moves gradually, making it possible for me to stop it anywhere in the scene I want.
I believe that is the function of the number of AF points the camera has. On the Z6 you can use all of 'em or half; with half as yor choice the cursor moves faster but more coarsely across the frame. Or you can use the LCD for more precise control. I have used an "Apple pencil" type of pointer for better control—fat-fingered slob that I am!

Did you have to custom program the minus magnification button or does it automatically work that way in that situation?

I'm the same way. Worse, I have the added complication that if I don't use something regularly, I have to learn all over again how to use it.
I didn’t program the minus mag button. It just worked. I don’t take many photos in the winter because we are cooped up inside. So I have to relearn a lot each spring.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom