Focus bracketing on Sony?

If I remember correctly (my work is at home but I am not), I always convert from raw wth my ussusal cocnverter before loading tiffs into Helicon.
That's certainly a viable method and is the method that gives you total control of the conversion process. You could instead turn the raw files directly over to Helicon Focus and let it do the raw conversion. However, you would have control only over the six parameters pertaining to raw conversions located in the Preferences section. I will probably settle on using the latter method for ease and convenience except for the occasional situation when I find that I really do need to take over complete control of the raw conversion process.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly (my work is at home but I am not), I always convert from raw wth my ussusal cocnverter before loading tiffs into Helicon.
I do that also, as it apparently also includes lens corrections in the profile. Although, I'm not sure if correcting the file on conversion improves or hinders the stacking software.

I'm not sure if correcting the file on conversion improves or hinders the stacking software.
I don't know for sure either, but I doubt that it affects the stacking process. Instead, it gives the user control from the outset of at least some of the standard characteristics rather than waiting until the output file is produced to take over that kind of control.

You don't have to have a camera or external device to automate taking the images. Some of my most successful stacks were made by manually focusing and shooting a set of images. My favorite method before acquiring a Z6 was to use a D5500 in the touch-and-shoot live view mode and touching various points where I wanted a shot focused.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You don't have to have a camera or external device to automate taking the images.
Actually, it's not possible to automate taking them without a camera or external device. Otherwise, you can only do it manually. :ROFLMAO:

Even so, you wouldn't consider making it happen manually if you're as much of a klutz as I am, not that I've met anyone who is.

Actually, it's not possible to automate taking them without a camera or external device. Otherwise, you can only do it manually. :ROFLMAO:
Yup, I said that wrong. What I meant to say is "You don't have to have a camera or external device to automate taking the images in order to do focus stacking."

But I enjoyed the Bordeaux :).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom