Focus hunting on nikon 70-200 2.8?

i was out yesterday shooting in late afternoon light around 5pm. i started to notice that my 70-200 was focus hunting a lot and it really botherd me to the point where i started manaully focusing.

in this picture the 70-200 would not focus on the purple flower part at all, instead it just continued to just hunt back and forth. (note i was in portrait mode, sometimes when i rotated back o landscape mode it did grab focus a bit better but it definitely hunted in portrait mode more often)

5768738359_4fcdf77c35_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_9094 by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

i beleive i noticed the lens hard a harder time focusing in bright objects because when i tried focusing on parts of my silver honda fit that were bright and reflective it hunted more than not.

does this sound like normal lens hunting or should i have the lens chcked out?

My guess is that if you were only using the very center of the flower & not getting any of the edge then there may not of been enought contrast for the lens to focus on.

Yep, I forget that from time to time on any lens, and catch myself starting to rant, only to find out that I'm at or near MFD.

Being "inside" MFD will do that too.

Price of using an interchangeable lens system. :tongue:

I wonder if a built-in range meter will be built into our camera or lenses someday. Targetting to back/foreground or focus area. Pro body viewfinders will end up looking like tricorders or military helmets. This would cut back on this sort-of issue (that can be eliminated by user practice...really).

I always end up inside MFD with the 70-200 in the studio too...thats usually when I reach for a prime :smile:

i undertand MFD now but what i dont understand is if that was the case then why was i able to manually focus perfectly? i must not have been in MFD then and possibly it was an issue with the lens/camera not being able to focus due to a non contrasty overly bright subject area?

Also remember that the more exacting cross type sensors are closer to the center and not at the viewfinder's extreme edges.

Latest threads

Top Bottom