1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Focus issue with 17-55mm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PLPhoto, Apr 19, 2007.

1. When I zoom the lens 55mm it fights to focus and when it does finally stop focusing it's not even close to an in focus image. It also happened a few times on the D70.

I've tested it in low light and sunlight, I've cleaned the contacts and turned everything on and off.

Has any had or know of this issue?

2. Bummer, I've never had a problem with mine. Snaps instantly to focus. Do you have the ability to try it on another camera to start the elimination process? (even taking it to your local camera store?)

3. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I do not feel comfortable reading about your problem .... is there another camera body you can test it on? I have not heard this one before and I look for anything written about the lenses/camera bodies I have. Is the lens under warranty? If you do not have another body try calling Nikon and talk to them. They will certainly tell you if this a known issue with the 17-55 and ask you to send it in. If your lens is under warranty send it in anyway .... you will get the problem corrected, focus checked, etc.

4. I for sure would try this lens on another body. I have not had any focusing problems with my 17-55mm lens, in fact it is my very favorite lens. Of course any lens will have focusing problems on a subject without clearly defined lines. Also have you checked to see which focusing grid is being used to achieve focus.

5. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Also, if the subject does not have enough contrast the lens will have difficulty focusing but if it only happens on the long end then you do seem to have a problem. Best to call Nikon IMHO!

6. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    I've heard of similar problems with the 17-55mm. One was pretty much identical; usually used on the D200 but also failed to focus on the D70 (from your gear list and comment I assume this happens on both bodies). Sounds to me like you need to talk to Nikon service.

7. Sorry, thought I wrote it was used on the D200 mainly.

It is under warranty I'm sick of sending stuff to Nikon and waiting months to get it back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.