Focus issues -- not sure what to do

My D7000's focus has seemed less than awesome. I tried testing it today with FoCal and found that two of my lenses required focusing to +40 or so (obviously not possible). The other two required a -7 and -12 adjustment.

Oddly, the two that only needed a reasonable adjustment were both Tamrons; the other lenses were Nikons.

I'm not sure if it's my camera or the lenses at this point. I'm terribly upset at the thought of sending it away for weeks, because it's my only camera (other than my iPhone) and we're about to start building a new house, which I was really excited about photographing. Any ideas or suggestions?

send to APS they are a fast turn around.. may be less than 5 business days if you tell them it is hot-hot.

Can they do warranty work? It's less than a year old, so if I can hopefully not pay for this, I'd much prefer not to :)

Yes, APS is an authorized Nikon repair center and they can repair your
equipment under warranty...

APS (Authorized Photo Service)
http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

Just call them at the toll free 800 number on the right side of that page
and tell them what's going on and they'll let you know your options...

They are usually even more reliable than sending it to Nikon... :wink:

They fix my sons under warrantee. Send original or copy of receipt or packing list. They will bill Nikon.

Camera went from -18 to zero correction. Turn around was 5 days

You can send one at a time and use manual focus temporarily.

Don't send it to Nikon in Cali - my D600 just spent 6 weeks there for a minor repair... I have never used APS, but will next time.

Thanks for the warning, Chad. That sucks :( Hope you get your camera back soon!

Called APS this morning and they were very nice (even though my kids were being really obnoxious, as they invariably are during phone calls). Packed it up and getting it in the mail today!

Quick update: Sent it to APS. Repair estimate is $295 because there is impact damage (my daughter grabbed it off the table the other day, which is when I suspect the onboard flash broke.) Because of the impact damage, the focus issues aren't covered either -- even though I'm pretty sure they were present before that.

My husband, who is clearly the most indulgent and generous man on earth, gave me the go-ahead to get it repaired anyway (probably because his little princess is the one who broke it in the first place, lol!). They estimate it will be back in the mail in 3 to 5 days.

Latest threads

Top Bottom