Focus Magic

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Kerry Pierce, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Dunno if this is the appropriate place to post this, but can't figure out where else to put it. It's intended as a public service. :smile:

Just FYI, Focus Magic, by Acclaim Software is trialware, still available for download from their site and you can still "purchase" the key to unlock it.

I "purchased" the software on 3/29 through their web ordering service and the charge was immediately posted to my CC. The registration key was never sent and numerous emails to all of the listed points of contact on the Acclaim website went unanswered.:mad:

Apparently, the company is no longer in business, but they didn't have the common decency to take down their web site and remove the purchase links. So, unless you enjoy talking to your CC dispute division, this is one best avoided. :frown:

2. Hi Kerry. Where did you find out that they had gone out of business? Their software still seems to be listed on many sites like Tucows.

3. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
  4. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    That's what I'm saying. Their site is still up and there are lots of copies of the software on different sites.

I tried to buy the software, my credit card was charged and I did not get a registration key. Nobody from the company responded to my many emails on the subject.

I don't know what conclusion, other than that they've gone out of business, one should draw from those facts. :smile:

5. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    I don't understand your point. :confused:

I stated in the original message, that none of my several emails, to all of the listed points of contact, were answered. That address is one of the listed points of contact. :smile:
    http://www.focusmagic.com/contact.htm

The only address I didn't try, is the one listed for the Czech Republic.

6. I really hope you have some luck soon. The software works quite well and I often use it in preference to other sharpening methods.

7. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks for the well wishes, Brian. :smile:

It's been 2 weeks of silence, so it seems unlikely that it will change. I've disputed the charge with my CC, who stated that they will reverse the charges, based on the failure to deliver the product and lack of communication by Acclaim.