Focus Peaking with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

I found an article on how to get focus peaking with the Oly OM-D E-M5, so decided to give it a whirl.
http://trevinchow.com/blog/2012/10/28/how-to-get-focus-peaking-with-the-olympus-om-d-e-m5/
It seems to work.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/40 @ 5.6

100%:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I found it a little bit cumbersome to remove my thumb from the Fn1 button before pressing the shutter. (If you don't release the Fn1 button, your image will remain in Key Line Picture Mode.)
On a tripod, this would be no problem. But I handhold and worry about slight camera movement when I lift my thumb. Maybe I just need to de-klutz and practice smoother thumb movements.
Does anyone know the mechanics of how focus peaking works on Sony bodies? I tend to doubt that Sony requires you to release a button before the shot is taken.

I can see myself using focus peaking in certain situations.

Has anyone else tried this trick?

Yes, I use it at times with my 55 and have had the same issue with removing my finger from the button. You could switch to raw so that it doesn't matter.

With the OMD it's pretty much a trick to get the feature whereas it was implemented on the Sony Nex on purpose so you can turn it on in the menu as an option I believe...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, I use it at times with my 55 and have had the same issue with removing my finger from the button. You could switch to raw so that it doesn't matter.

Excellent point Mike!
I always record images in raw and jpg, though so far have only used the jpgs.
I downloaded Oly Viewer 3 yesterday and saw the option to change the picture mode of the raw images.
I guess that approach's only downside is the difficulty (for me at least) chimping key line images for proper focus.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom