1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Focus point selection D700

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by britinjapan, Jun 20, 2011.

1. britinjapan

britinjapan

Mar 5, 2011
    Tokyo
    I just came back from a shoot and realized that my focus selector was locked on L on my D700.

What effect would this have had on photos I took?

Reading the manual (page 76), 1. If I unlock the selector, I should be able to use the multi selector to chose the focus point.

I can`t get this to happen. Do you half press the shutter release first to get the focus point then toggle with the multi selector?

Is this because I am on autofocus?

Somehow I`ve lost the meaning of the lock.

Could someone take me through how to select the focus point and how to lock it, and what effect it will have?

Thanks

2. Your focus selector being locked doesn't do anything if you're in auto point selection. Personally, I spot focus and ONLY spot focus. I don't use that auto point selection as I find it inaccurate, especially when shooting wide open at f/2.8 or f/1.4.

The locking switching is to prevent that button from being pushed by your fingers or your nose. This way you don't accidentally press it and shift your focus point (if shooting in spot focus) or so if you accidentally hit the menu button you don't move your selection and change a setting in your camera's settings menu.

To change your focusing style, you'll want to flip the switch under the D-pad, and above the info button. Flip it so that it's pointing down, at the brackets with just one square inside. (The one on top is for auto-point selection and the one in the middle... I have no idea. :biggrin: LOL!)

Then, typically speaking, with spot focus I like to spot meter as well. If I'm selecting my focus point, I'd like my D700 to meter off of the same spot (someone's face, my dog's snout, some flowers, etc.). To do this, when looking at the back of your camera look to the right of your eye piece. Turn the dial (between your eye piece and the AF-ON button) all the way to the left. Those selections, from left to right, are Spot Metering, Matrix Metering, and Center-Weighted Metering. I choose spot metering.

There you have it. Hope that makes sense.

I tend to take what KR says with a grain of salt, but this is really helpful:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700/af-settings.htm

Here's some photo reference to the back of your camera for quick reference.

[​IMG]
    Image used with permission Copyright © 2010-2011 Digital Camera Reviews

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  3. britinjapan

britinjapan

Mar 5, 2011
    Tokyo
    Many thanks. I was confusing metering (the top button) and focussing.

The one in the middle works for the 3D tracking by the way, when combined with the "C" setting in the front.

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    There are 3 selections, the bottom being single point, the top being closest (I think), and the middle is Dynamic. Dynamic includes 51 point 3D as well as 9, 21 and 51 point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.