1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

focus points on D200 question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Terri French, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Seems that I have been shooting more in low light lately with the faster lenses that I've purchased. I've noticed that the center focus point focuses much more quickly and accurately in a low light situation. Is that normal? Somtimes the outer focus points hunt and can't focus in a situation when the center one can focus perfectly.

It's probably the way my camera has been working all along but I want to make sure I'm not developing a problem.

2. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Nothing wrong with your camera, Terri.

The central sensor is the only cross-type sensor in the D200's array. It is indeed more effective than the other sensors and this is most noticeable in low light and/or low contrast subjects.

3. Like Holmes said, the center one is more sensitive.

4. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I was not aware of this. This could help explain some of my frustration when focusing on action shots and useing other than the center sensor.

5. Well, I used my camera tonight and it is more than just a less sensitive focus points. There is definitely something wrong with the camera. I'm really bummed about it as I just purchased two new lenses and really don't have the money for a new camera. I hate to spend hundreds on repairs to an older camera body.

Don't really know what to do at this point.

6. Terri, how are you sure there is something wrong? You are using it at night. I suggest you test it in full sunlight, on a subject with plenty of contrast for the focus to lock onto. try several different items, something with detail. Then report back.

7. I was using it outdoors this evening. It was focusing very slowly, often sticking in an out of focus position. This was about 7:00 p.m. when there was still plenty of light outdoors.

I just called Nikon Technical Support, and they had me do a two button reset of the camera. I'll try it out tomorrow in good light. Thanks Rodney.

8. Terri, was it focusing slowly with all your lenses? I have had the problem you described with one of my lenses, took it to Nikon and they fixed it.

9. Yes, I tried it with three different lenses tonight and the same thing on all of them. Thanks so much for helping me troubleshoot. I've cleaned the connections and tried a different battery as well.

10. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    Terri,

Also check your AF settings: the switch on the back of the camera, the focusing mode switch on the front of the camera (C, S, or M) and also dig in the menus to make sure they are what you want.

What was mentioned earlier about the center sensor being more sensitive is correct. The center sensor is sensitive in two axes, while all of the outer sensors are only sensitive in one axis.

11. I talked to Nikon Technical Support last night. They had me do a two button reset and also reset all the menus. I'm going to give the camera a workout this afternoon and see how it does. I am constantly using it in continuous autofocus to track the movement of my grandkids.

To me it seemed that there is still a problem with I tried focusing with it last night. I compared it to a D70 that I just gave to my daughter and the D70 would focus much more quickly and accurately than the D200.

12. Update:

The camera is on it's way to Nikon repair in California. I'll post their findings here in case someone is searching for answers to a similar problem in the future.

13. Good luck Terri! Hopefully it won't cost you too much.

14. If it costs too much I'll just cut my losses and not have them fix it and buy a D300!!! No use crying about it....

It should be in great shape after it is returned, if they do fix it. I've never had any problems with it before this and have taken very good care of it.

15. Hey Terri, what number did you call for help the other night, BTW? I have never called Nikon, so I am curious, if I ever want to...

16. Digital Imaging Technical Support
    24 hours a day 7 days a week
    1-800-Nikon-UX or 1-800-645-6689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.