Focus Priority D80

Is there a setting on the D80 to set focus priority? If there is I can't find it in the menu or manual. Is that chapter missing from my manual? Hehe :biggrin:

You can set your focus point if that is what you mean.

I select focus points from time to time.

See page 30 of the manual. Unlock the focus selector (item 8, page 3), then use the multi selector (item 13, page 3).

MikeT

I believe that the AF-S and AF-C have different focus priorities.

AF-S is focus and AF-C is shutter priority, I believe? (I know using the AE-LOCK as AF-ON and AF-C you get shutter priority)

I believe that the AF-S and AF-C have different focus priorities.

AF-S is focus and AF-C is shutter priority, I believe? (I know using the AE-LOCK as AF-ON and AF-C you get shutter priority)

This is more along the line of what I meant. I want to set it to focus priority to use when shooting sports, if it can be done with the D80.

Personally I hate it -- but focus priority is definitely AF-S. hehe...

But wouldn't it be easier (especially for sports) to use the AF-C mode? AF-S will focus once instead of continually (AF-C).

Personally I hate it -- but focus priority is definitely AF-S. hehe...

But wouldn't it be easier (especially for sports) to use the AF-C mode? AF-S will focus once instead of continually (AF-C).

I tried AF-C the other night. It was my first attempt shooting soprts using my sigma 70-200/monopod. I didn't get sharp images. Using th AF-C is shutter priority, and I ened up getting alot of OOF shots.

Have you tried using the AF-ON trick? (Set the AE-LOCK button to AF-ON; works great for me--lots of other people really recommend it too)

Have you tried using the AF-ON trick? (Set the AE-LOCK button to AF-ON; works great for me--lots of other people really recommend it too)

I just started using that. The improvement I see is unbelievable!! That was recommeded to me a few weeks ago by Greyflash. For some unknown reason I didn't think it would work well for sports, so I went back to using half press focus. I'm going to try AF/ON at this weeks try.

So if understand the manual correctly, the AE-L/AF-L button would be used to initiate focusing then you use the shutter to take the picture? That must take some getting used to since we use the shutter release to ficus out of habit.

Does focus tracking improve? I have a D80 also and this has been challenge also when I just get some practice in at a local basketball court.

So if understand the manual correctly, the AE-L/AF-L button would be used to initiate focusing then you use the shutter to take the picture? That must take some getting used to since we use the shutter release to ficus out of habit.

Does focus tracking improve? I have a D80 also and this has been challenge also when I just get some practice in at a local basketball court.

I know for myself, just using the AF/ON has improved my keeps ALOT!!! Not sure how it will fare with sports, but plan on trying it at my son's soccer practice this week. I'll report back, HOPEFULLY with better results than my last try.

Latest threads

Top Bottom