1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

focus problem with 85 f1.4

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by kiskaprince, Aug 10, 2008.

1. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    I am trying to figure this out.
    I want to shot of the subject which is around 20" high with 85f1.4 every time I focus in the middle of it rest is kind of out of focus.
    I don't know how to post the image to help you understand this????
    Any idea what settings I should use or what I am doing wrong?
    Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  2. What aperture are you using? At f1.4 the depth of field will be very narrow. Try a narrow aperture, say f8.0.

3. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Thank will try that.
    How to post images??

4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Thanks I just did it.

7. to post an image....
    you must find your image on photobucket
    open it
    left click on it
    right click on PROPERTIES
    copy and paste the URL as XXX in the equation:

[​IMG]

8. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Is it not working????

9. Read up on depth of field (Google it, there is a lot written on it--even here on the Cafe).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  10. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Exif data says that photo was shot at f/1.4, and just as Nick said in his post, stop the lens down. Your DOF is extremely shallow at f/1.4. This is a wonderful lens. A little slow to focus sometimes, but focus speed should be fine on a D3. I use this lens on a D2H for basketball and other indoor sports, and it focus fine.

11. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Your link is good but your photo still isn't showing directly. If Greg's method isn't working you can also try this: In the Reply to Thread window, click on the yellow postcard icon with the stamp and mountain. Highlight http:// and paste your link over the highlighted text. Press OK. Your photo should show up in the editing window. Preview your post and click submit.

12. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    The statue has curves to it and being close to it at f/1.4 will cause the other parts to be out of focus. Shooting at 1.4 really takes some practice. Hang in there and when you figure it out, you will be well rewarded. :wink:

13. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    What do you suggest then?

14. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Have you tried any of the suggestions above?

15. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Stop down a little. Use a DOF calculator (see www.dofmaster.com) to illustrate to yourself just how shallow DOF is at f1/4.

16. I haven't read the other replies yet, so if this has been covered, just ignore it. At f/1.4, your subject needs to be parallel to the sensor plane. If you're looking up or down at the object, you're going to have an out of focus top and bottom with such a thin DOF.

17. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Thank you.
    I think I am getting it now.
    Will try that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.