focus problem with 85 f1.4

I am trying to figure this out.
I want to shot of the subject which is around 20" high with 85f1.4 every time I focus in the middle of it rest is kind of out of focus.
I don't know how to post the image to help you understand this????
Any idea what settings I should use or what I am doing wrong?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
to post an image....
you must find your image on photobucket
open it
left click on it
right click on PROPERTIES
copy and paste the URL as XXX in the equation:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Exif data says that photo was shot at f/1.4, and just as Nick said in his post, stop the lens down. Your DOF is extremely shallow at f/1.4. This is a wonderful lens. A little slow to focus sometimes, but focus speed should be fine on a D3. I use this lens on a D2H for basketball and other indoor sports, and it focus fine.

Is it not working????

Your link is good but your photo still isn't showing directly. If Greg's method isn't working you can also try this: In the Reply to Thread window, click on the yellow postcard icon with the stamp and mountain. Highlight http:// and paste your link over the highlighted text. Press OK. Your photo should show up in the editing window. Preview your post and click submit.

The statue has curves to it and being close to it at f/1.4 will cause the other parts to be out of focus. Shooting at 1.4 really takes some practice. Hang in there and when you figure it out, you will be well rewarded. :wink:

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
I haven't read the other replies yet, so if this has been covered, just ignore it. At f/1.4, your subject needs to be parallel to the sensor plane. If you're looking up or down at the object, you're going to have an out of focus top and bottom with such a thin DOF.

Latest threads

Top Bottom