Focus recommended setting - child in rocking chair

Hello, newbie here. I'm puzzled on the best setting for taking pics (preferably with blur bg) of my boy when in the rocking chair.

For example in the below shot I centered on the boy, half pressed the shutter when he was all the way back, recomposed and shot next time he swang back. However I did feel the lens motor activating as the child swings...mmmhhhh.

Would it be better to use AF-Single focus mode and Single Point for AF Area Mode?

Thanks!

DSC_0020.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Exif
Camera
Make NIKON CORPORATION
Model NIKON D3000
Exposure time 1/100 s
F-number f/6.3
Exposure program Aperture priority
ISO speed ratings ISO 100
Component config YCbCr
Compressed BPP 1
Exposure bias value 0.00 eV
Max. aperture value f/5.7
Metering mode Pattern
Light source unknown
Flash Flash did not fire
Focal length 48 mm
Pixel X dimension 2896
Pixel Y dimension 1944
Sensing method One-chip color area sensor
Scene type A directly photographed image
CFA pattern (00,02,00,02,01,02,00,01)
Custom Rendered Normal process
Exposure mode Auto exposure
White balance Auto white balance
Digital zoom ratio 1
Focal length in 35mm film 72 mm
Scene capture type Standard
Gain control None
Contrast Normal
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Normal
Subject distance range unknown
Miscellaneous
Exif version 2.21
FlashPix version 1.0
File source DSC
White balance Auto
Flash bias 0.0 eV
Nikon Maker Notes
Quality BASIC
White balance Auto
ISO setting ISO 100
Focus mode AF-A
Flash setting NORMAL
Flash bias 0.0 eV
Flash bracket compensation 0.0 eV
Noise reduction OFF
Lens 18-55 mm

First of all, turn that 'date' mode off - it ruins every photograph ever shot with it on. The date is already in your EXIF header and can be read by all cataloguing software.

You don't need to quote the whole EXIF file when asking for help - just the main settings and the lens and camera are sufficient. You will need to use continuous focus with a wide aperture to get what you want - if I'm reading your post correctly. You cannot do the half-press when you want to take the shot on a VR lens because the VR motor has to engage and then you'll lose the moment. It must already be engaged and prepared for the shot.

I agree with the above, turn off VR and use continuous focus. It's what I set my camera too when trying to capture my 2yr old running around the park and sliding down the slides.

You did very well with your technique but I would recommend that you do next time what has already been recommended. Engaging the VR motor while doing this type of photography is indeed a challenge because it slows down the performance of the camera.
The hardest part of action photography is keeping focus tracking and each camera is different. Dynamic AF works nicely with these subjects because focus tracking is engaged automatically when the subject moves within the frame, at least it is with my cameras, I have not used the D3000 but the instructions book should have a good explanation for action photography and how to use the AF.
I almost forgot to tell you that focus tracking refers to keeping the subject in focus when moving within the frame. You select an AF sensor and the other sensors are also active to follow the subject. In the majority of these shots, the camera is panning the subject while the sensors are doing their job.
Good luck.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Hello, newbie here. I'm puzzled on the best setting for taking pics (preferably with blur bg) of my boy when in the rocking chair.

For example in the below shot I centered on the boy, half pressed the shutter when he was all the way back, recomposed and shot next time he swang back. However I did feel the lens motor activating as the child swings...mmmhhhh.

Would it be better to use AF-Single focus mode and Single Point for AF Area Mode?

Thanks!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/jhoya/Nacimiento_Geronimo/Geronimo 11 meses/DSC_0020.jpg

Exif
Camera
Make NIKON CORPORATION
Model NIKON D3000
Exposure time 1/100 s
F-number f/6.3
Exposure program Aperture priority
ISO speed ratings ISO 100
Component config YCbCr
Compressed BPP 1
Exposure bias value 0.00 eV
Max. aperture value f/5.7
Metering mode Pattern
Light source unknown
Flash Flash did not fire
Focal length 48 mm
Pixel X dimension 2896
Pixel Y dimension 1944
Sensing method One-chip color area sensor
Scene type A directly photographed image
CFA pattern (00,02,00,02,01,02,00,01)
Custom Rendered Normal process
Exposure mode Auto exposure
White balance Auto white balance
Digital zoom ratio 1
Focal length in 35mm film 72 mm
Scene capture type Standard
Gain control None
Contrast Normal
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Normal
Subject distance range unknown
Miscellaneous
Exif version 2.21
FlashPix version 1.0
File source DSC
White balance Auto
Flash bias 0.0 eV
Nikon Maker Notes
Quality BASIC
White balance Auto
ISO setting ISO 100
Focus mode AF-A
Flash setting NORMAL
Flash bias 0.0 eV
Flash bracket compensation 0.0 eV
Noise reduction OFF
Lens 18-55 mm

your focus + recompose / wait for the right moment is to me the best way, you know the swing is going to go back to the same place (pretty much)

quite often there is something else that is the same distance as the object will end up, so for example you could take the picture on the forward swing when the swing is in line with the other subject,.

that way you can focus and then switch to manual (so camera can't adjust) or use instead AF-S and hold down the shutter button between focus+recompose (VR stays activated with 1/2 press and can just as well be left on)

Latest threads

Top Bottom