1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

focus speed of D300 compared to D2H

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Johnnymg, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Greets

Does anyone have both a D300 and D2H here? If so, how does the focus speed and highlight latitude compare between the two?

I'm currently using a D2H for my "sports" photos and am VERY pleased with the speed of the cam. The D2H is a bit weak when it comes to highlight latitude and that's a problem since my team uses a mostly white "uniform". :biggrin: I'd say my capture ratio for shots like this is around 70%:

353742819_tPrBX-XL.

Any comments would be appreciated
    JohnG

2. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    I’m posting mostly to subscribe to this thread to see what users of both bodies say.

I have two D2H bodies and a D200. I won’t use the D200 for action. Just too slow to focus when compared to the D2H. Curious to hear what users of both bodies have to say, as I will upgrade to the D300 someday, and it seems like many like it for sports.

As for whites with the D2H. It can be a problem on bright sunny days, but that’s probably true with any body if you don’t get the correct exposure. I see nothing wrong with the highlights in your photo.

3. I have a D2H and D300 and mainly shoot a 300 2.8 AF...the first AF version (screw driven, no AFS). John, I think you had one? I only shot one football game with that lens and the D300 last year, and I did shoot some baseball/softball with it. My feeling is that the D2H drives it a little faster. I like the D300 with the 70-200. It feels just as fast, but that is very unscientific. I will start shooting more in a couple of weeks and plan to shoot a D300/D2H combo for football.

4. Hi Mason

Yes, I had the 300 AF lens. I never used it for "fast" action so can't make any claims to its speed.

I also had a D200 which was WAY too slow for fast action work. I sold it because it was so slow.

Although I'm very pleased with the overall speed of the D2H, I wonder if the exposure latitude has been improved on the newer Nikon cams. ??? I may have to just buy a D300 and try it on my four leg'd subjects. :tongue:

Thanks for the feedback and please post followups if you do a direct speed/latitude comparison.

regards
    JohnG

5. I have both but use only the 80-200 f2.8D and the focus is IMHO faster and better than the D300. However, recently I find myself using the 300 more as the cropping potential is great :)  I find the D300 (mine) overexposes slightly but I only have it 3 weeks so I'm still learning.

For focus, the D2h 'snaps'.

6. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I went from D2H to D300 and to me there wasn't much in it, but, I do think the D300 edges it slightly for AF speed and accuracy. But, too close to call really.

7. Perhaps with AF-S lenses but with screw ones the D2h is way faster IMHO. I get a higher percentage of keepers with the D2h at Rugby!

8. Tim White

Tim White Guest

It's backlit, which means exposing for the shadows without blowing some highlights is going to be difficult. Can you shoot in the opposite direction? Do you capture RAW files?

9. Yes, the back-light does hurt. However, I've taken thousands of shots of my 'boys' and it's always very tough when the sun is out. The best shots have been when the sun is somewhat low or there's a bit of overcast. IMO, the D2H has a somewhat limited latitude range in this type of light. I would like to test that concept with a D300. Anyone want to lend me theirs? :wink:

All my shots are processed from RAW. One thing I haven't tried is ACR which I understand has better HL recovery than Capture. ???

Thanks again and keep the comments coming.
    JohnG

10. Tim White

Tim White Guest

I don't have a D2H, but my D300 certainly has greater range than my D70. There's no contest.

11. Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I've got a D2H and a D300 and the D2H definitely focuses faster with an 80-200D non-AFS, not sure with the 300 f4 AFS. Maybe the battery pack (which I don't have) would help the D300 focus speed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.