Focus stacking in the wild

...works pretty well if you have a stationary subject:

Stack2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a seven-image stack with my Z6, 24-70S, and PlatyPod.

I had been meaning to photograph this batch of fungi for several days, but things kept getting in the way. By today they had deteriorated quite a bit.

Last edited:
Wonderful!! My goal was to experiment with focus stacking once I returned from vacation. We have wind forecast for several days, but I hope to be able to try it soon. I will try using the automatic built in focus stacking feature as well as the touch focus and shoot that you did. I did a little bit of manual focus stack shooting of a landscape on my vacation. But I haven't had a chance to blend them yet. It was on a morning walk and I was handholding. It will be interesting to see if photoshop can align the photos. If I get results like yours I will be thrilled. I think this is a very interesting subject. Too bad it was past it's prime, but it still looks great.

Good job. As I have said before I like my Sony camera but miss focus stacking.

I'm sure you can stack focus as well as this with your Sony. I didn't use the focus-shift feature on this.

Wonderful!! My goal was to experiment with focus stacking once I returned from vacation. We have wind forecast for several days, but I hope to be able to try it soon. I will try using the automatic built in focus stacking feature as well as the touch focus and shoot that you did. I did a little bit of manual focus stack shooting of a landscape on my vacation. But I haven't had a chance to blend them yet. It was on a morning walk and I was handholding. It will be interesting to see if photoshop can align the photos. If I get results like yours I will be thrilled. I think this is a very interesting subject. Too bad it was past it's prime, but it still looks great.

Thanks, Terri. I think you'll enjoy playing with this. My few tries with hand-held focus stacking were not successful.

Such a natural appearance but with plenty of interest! This style is one of the best uses of focus stacking in my opinion, where the focus stacking is used to keep the subject in focus throughout but allowing at least the background and maybe the foreground to be out of focus.

Thanks, Mike. That OOF background is always my goal in the wild, but is not always possible.

The following one wasn't started until February but I sure do recognize the guy that started it: https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/show-your-focus-stacked-images.320867/

Thanks. I couldn't remember which forum we put it in.

Booyah! Really nice Jim!

Many thanks, Walter.

Jim, why did you not use focus stacking?

I did do focus stacking. I just didn't use the automatic focus-shift feature of the Z6. To me it was much easier just to use the rear screen in live view and touch the points that I wanted in focus. As you see, seven images was all it took to get a pretty good result.

Latest threads

Top Bottom