Focus test at Juanita Today Part I

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Went to Juanita this afternoon since the sun was out. I really wanted to test my camera as I have been having some focus issues after the firmware upgrade. Well the problem appears to be resolved. I cleaned the lens contacts and all seems well now.

The firmware really made a huge difference in allowing the camera to focus against a busy background. Before this there had been a reported problem with the D2X. I did extensive testing. These shots were to see how the camera would focus in different situations. I was very happy with the results. I even have a shot of the KF diving and coming up with a fish. I have not processed it yet. The KF was pretty far off so I am not sure how it will look after cropping it.

Most of these shots were cropped a fair amount as I only used the 500 w/o any tc.

original.

View attachment 19911

View attachment 19912

Then this ring of ducks came in for a landing

View attachment 19913

View attachment 19914

View attachment 19915

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Many that's one sharp and pretty Hummer shot, great detail

all are right on the mark, well done

I agree firmware updates for the D2..'s have done a good job of improving AF!

4. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Sharp shots!

5. Excellent work, brilliant images!

D2X + Sigma 500/4.5?

6. Great shots! Now teach me about the settings.

7. Good shots Jim,

I gotta get me one of those lenses (Sigma 500 F4.5, correct)?

Along with LOTS of practice!

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I think that you have got the focus problems solved Jim. Excellent series. :smile:

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Jim -

I haven't had a chance to test the upgrade yet, so I'm glad to read about your results. Like others, I would like to know your settings, especially the menu "a" focus settings. Isn't it great to have a camera like the D2x that you can crop heavily and still get good images?

Gordon

10. Gordon, I put the settings I use on the second post part 2. The D2x being able to crop is great. I was shooting today again with Bill Dewey and I did not use the TC again and in crop mode I did not need it at all. You will have fun at Juanita if the weather holds.

11. Here are my settings that I will now use the majority of the time for moving objects. This seems to work best for me.

My settings were as follows.

Focus on front of camera set to C
    A1 to FPS rate
    A2 focus
    A3 To pattern 2 center pattern
    A4 To on

12. For Brett and Ron. Yes these were all with my Sigma 500 4.5 lens w/o my tc. While I almost always use the TC, I wanted to see if my issue was the lens. I will test again with the tc on to see if that makes any difference after the firmware upgrade. I hope not. Thanks again.

13. Jim, I'd say your focus is dead on. Great shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.