Focus test at Juanita Today Part I

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Went to Juanita this afternoon since the sun was out. I really wanted to test my camera as I have been having some focus issues after the firmware upgrade. Well the problem appears to be resolved. I cleaned the lens contacts and all seems well now.

The firmware really made a huge difference in allowing the camera to focus against a busy background. Before this there had been a reported problem with the D2X. I did extensive testing. These shots were to see how the camera would focus in different situations. I was very happy with the results. I even have a shot of the KF diving and coming up with a fish. I have not processed it yet. The KF was pretty far off so I am not sure how it will look after cropping it.

Most of these shots were cropped a fair amount as I only used the 500 w/o any tc.

original.

original.

original.

Then this ring of ducks came in for a landing

original.

original.

original.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Many that's one sharp and pretty Hummer shot, great detail

all are right on the mark, well done

I agree firmware updates for the D2..'s have done a good job of improving AF!

4. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Sharp shots!

5. Excellent work, brilliant images!

D2X + Sigma 500/4.5?

6. Great shots! Now teach me about the settings.

7. Good shots Jim,

I gotta get me one of those lenses (Sigma 500 F4.5, correct)?

Along with LOTS of practice!

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I think that you have got the focus problems solved Jim. Excellent series. :smile:

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Jim -

I haven't had a chance to test the upgrade yet, so I'm glad to read about your results. Like others, I would like to know your settings, especially the menu "a" focus settings. Isn't it great to have a camera like the D2x that you can crop heavily and still get good images?

Gordon

10. Gordon, I put the settings I use on the second post part 2. The D2x being able to crop is great. I was shooting today again with Bill Dewey and I did not use the TC again and in crop mode I did not need it at all. You will have fun at Juanita if the weather holds.

11. Here are my settings that I will now use the majority of the time for moving objects. This seems to work best for me.

My settings were as follows.

Focus on front of camera set to C
    A1 to FPS rate
    A2 focus
    A3 To pattern 2 center pattern
    A4 To on

12. For Brett and Ron. Yes these were all with my Sigma 500 4.5 lens w/o my tc. While I almost always use the TC, I wanted to see if my issue was the lens. I will test again with the tc on to see if that makes any difference after the firmware upgrade. I hope not. Thanks again.

13. Jim, I'd say your focus is dead on. Great shots.