1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Focus test w/ lenses on my D700

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by lisa_h, Sep 6, 2008.

1. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    If I am posting this in the wrong place, I apologize.
    I did the focus test on 3 of my lenses that I feel aren't sharp on my D700.
    Here are the results. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to interpret them in terms of how much I would fine tune. I think it's obvious none of them are sharp. The 1.4 lenses are at 1.4 and the 135 f/2 is at f/2, at a 45 degree angle, center focus point.

Thanks for looking and don't forget to click again once they open to get the maximum size.

The 85mm 1.4
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3126/2834208210_4686e5a98f_o.jpg

The 135 f/2
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/2834362708_79e6dffccd_o.jpg

The 50mm 1.4
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2833534449_a9ca670048_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  2. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    the 85 seems exactly right, for the other 2 you should reshoot the picture but then stand exactly in front of the paper.
    The 135 seems about 10 mm oof but its hard to say because you was out of the middle when you took te picture.

3. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Do those look better?

4. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Yep, Adjust AF Fine Tuning about 6mm for the 135 and 2mm for the 50.

5. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    You dont want your setup to change while shooting the test charts. So I always suggest using the review on camera and zooming in, making a AF Fine Tune adjustment, and reshoot.

If it seems like your AF Fine tune adjustments aren't making a difference, then chances are you are not on a 45 degree angle. I've found being off angle by 5 degrees or more, will reduce the accuracy of the test, since the focal plane will no longer be 'on scale'

6. What I find peculiar with testing longer lenses is that when shooting a test chart they seem off, but shooting a real subject they're fine.

For example, my 80-200 at 200mm is a bit soft if I shot a test chart in my house, but when I shoot it at a realistic distance that I would use a 200mm for, then the lens is pin sharp.

I remember reading a thread on here that somebody went through the same thing with either a 400 or 600 I can't remember exactly which it was.

7. in the Nikon manual it says to do the test at the distance you use them and it also says that at close and infinity the settings may be off

8. It looks like all 3 are front focusing. I think you'll want to dial in positive numbers to make it focus further back (IIRC). Just keep incrementing the number until it looks like it's focusing where you want.

FYI, with the original firmware you had to set the Saved Value number to 0 to turn it off (or delete it altogether) - the on/off setting only affected the default value which you do not want to change. This may have been fixed with the latest firmware but I don't know.

9. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    + 6 and 2mm?
    I still can't find how to do this? I see in the manual it shows HOW to do it but I can't seem to find it in the menu on the camera?

Thanks Adam. I have a Manfrotto tripod that has the angles on it so I know for sure I was at a 45 degree angle :) 

I'm having problems shooting subjects too, lol. That's what led me to do the tests. I had the sigma 30mm 1.4 as well as the nikkor 50mm 1.4 and on the D300 the sigma was ALWAYS sharper.

I also read that this test and fine tuning doesn't work great on zooms--- mostly on primes?

10. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Thank you :) 
    The test chart says to do the test wide open and to fill as much of the frame w/ the chart as you can while still being able to AF.

11. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Thank you for this information. I still can't find where in the menu I do this?

12. It's in the setup menu under AF Fine Tune.

13. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Ahhhhhhh, there it is. Thank you Geoff :) 

14. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Just wondering, is it ok now?

15. lmorgan

lmorgan

Jun 27, 2008
    NCentral IL
    Got your e-mail, but it looks like you found it in the menu. Did it help??

:Love:

16. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    I'm not sure yet. I need to get one of the kids to sit for me..........and it's raining out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.