Focusing method with regard to wide/normal/tele lenses

Real Name
Heiko
I'm not sure this makes sense, but I won't get an answer without asking. So here it goes:

Wide angle, normal and tele lenses have different properties with regard to depth of field and aperture.

When shooting a wide angle lens in a landscape or street photography situation, how do you achieve the best results with regard to sharpness?

1. Focus on the main subject? Nearby or distant parts may be out of focus.
2. Switch to manual focus and use the viewfinder to focus?
3. Switch to manual focus and preselect the focus distance based on max/min distances and aperture?
4. Hyperfocal distance in manual focus mode?
5. Closest subject mode?
6. AF-S with focus on nearby object and adjust aperture to get the entire picture in focus (or whatever foreground I want)
7. In landscape situations, focus on infinity or hyperfocal distance to get edge to edge sharpness?
8. ?????

There are so many possibilities. Now when you add people walking / running into the equation, what would be the best for a wide angle lens (on a FX camera)?

I throw in another parameter: widest possible aperture! It could be in dim light or indoor.

Any ideas or suggestions?

How do you focus when using a wide angle? Give a specific scenario / situation (e.g. landscape with near and distant subjects, or children in a room under incandescent light) and how you achieve the get the highest number of keepers.

Thanks in advance - I know it's a broad subject, but any idea is welcome.

I'm interested in the responses this might generate. Maybe try moving it to the lens lust or landscape forums?

Real Name
Heiko
I'm interested in the responses this might generate. Maybe try moving it to the lens lust or landscape forums?
Although I mentioned landscape, I'm at least in the same way interested in indoor shooting or situations where one doesn't have real time to plan things ahead. I never had a problem with landscape, since most shots are taken in daylight where one can close the aperture to get the sharpness needed.

Perhaps PJs would know some tricks.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom